I just can't get enough of these vintage action photos -- even if it doesn't show the most desired result. Featured above is a 1955 United Press pic, dated June 1st, of Jackie Robinson being tagged out at the plate. Per the descriptor on the reverse:
Jackie Robinson of the Dodgers is tagged out at home by Milwaukee Catcher Del Crandall in the second inning of the night game at Ebbets Field June 1st. Robinson tried to score on Junior Gilliam's short fly to second baseman Hank Aaron, who threw to Crandall. Umpire is Dusty Boggess.I don't think you can be too angry about being beat by a great play from future Hall of Famer Hank Aaron. BTW, this pic is on auction at Memory Lane (link here). Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1970 a fourteen year old fan named Alan Fish was struck by a batted baseball at Dodger Stadium and would unfortunately die four days later. This marked the first fatality of a fan from a batted ball in a Major League game. Tom Hoffarth provides more detail about the terrible incident here. In 2000 was the infamous fight at Wrigley Field that started when Dodgers catcher Chad Kreuter, sitting in the Wrigley exposed bullpen, was hit in the back of the head and had his hat stolen by a unruly fan. Several players and coaches jumped into the stands during the ensuing melee.
- Happy Birthday, Watty Clark, Rube Walker, Rick Rhoden, Mitch Webster & Eugenio Vélez!
- Check out pics from yesterdays game here, via Dodger Insider.
- This is quite a scoop. Per Jason Reed at LA Sports Hub; "Leaked photos show plans for new center field." Obviously, these are just conceptual drawings, but it is a clear indication that some big changes and upgrades are coming.
PHOTOS: Leaked photos from Dodger Stadium shows potential plans for center field at Dodger Stadium. There appears to be a standing room only area as well as another section of bleachers. pic.twitter.com/w71AMrpwGX— LA Sports Hub (@LA_SportsHub) May 13, 2018
- Jacob Rudner at Dodgers Way shares, "An Interview with Logan Salow- The Newest Dodger."
- Via Forest Stulting at Beyond the Bricks; "A Rock Behind the Plate: Catcher Rocky Gale Excels in First Season with the OKC Dodgers."
Bill Simas, the Oklahoma City Dodgers pitching coach, gives Gale the freedom to devise the attack, which he says is one of Gale’s strengths.“He is really good,” Simas said. “I sometimes listen. I sometimes don’t. [But] I trust him and the pitcher. What he does a good job of is [working with] the pitcher that day. It’s not just a game plan in general. He really narrows it down for the pitcher and his stuff and how to go [after a hitter].”
- Per Greg Echlin at The Roanoke Times; "Former UVa pitcher Sborz takes next step in Dodgers' system."
“Hi, I’m Josh,” he told anyone in his path to the clubhouse. Teammates, the clubhouse kid, the media. Anyone he met.Then in his first career Pacific Coast League appearance, the 2015 Most Outstanding Player at the College World Series — during the University of Virginia’s national title run — introduced himself to the Redbird hitters in a relief role for a hold in the OKC Dodgers’ 8-4 victory.
- Bob D'Angelo at Sports Collectors Daily shares a bunch of preview pics from Topps 2018 Five Star Baseball set; including the Jackie Robinson autographed card on the right. Go here to check out more pics. This product will hit stores in late August.
- I don't know who you are, but I like what you do. A Redditor named u/ragedeg19 has been sharing a bunch of Dodger Stadium themed graphics that I think are worth checking out. Here's one of the top deck (link). Check out the left field pavilion gates (link), the top deck gates (link), DodgerVision (link), loge gates (link), and the pavilion (link)
- I find this fascinating and I wonder if this is the root of our problems. Per John Patrick Pullen at Fortune; "Fortnite Addiction Is Becoming a Problem for Major League Baseball."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *