It's so close I can taste it!
Pitchers and catchers report on Tuesday. Graphic above of Rich Hill via @Dodgers on twitter.
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1916 National League owners voted down a proposal by Dodgers owner Charles Ebbets that would impose a limit of 2,000 seats that a club can sell for 25 cents. In 1933 the Dodgers traded their soon-to-be Hall of Fame pitcher Dazzy Vance to the Cardinals for a couple of scrubs. In 1982 the Dodgers traded longtime second baseman Davey Lopes to the A's for a minor leaguer. This trade broke up the longest-playing infield in major league history. In 1995 the Dodgers signed Japanese free agent pitcher Hideo Nomo. He would have a fantastic rookie campaign -- going 13-6 with an 2.54 ERA, a league leading 236 strike outs and three shutouts.
- Happy Birthday, Bruce Caldwell, Bert Haas, Charlie Householder & Joe Black!
- This should be a fun event to get you preapred for the upcoming Dodger season. Per Rowan Kavner at Dodger Insider; "Dodger Stadium College Baseball Classic doubleheader to take place March 11."
- This does not bode well. Per Matt Snyder at CBS Sports; "Yasiel Puig fired by his agent over a reported behavioral issue: Wasserman Agency 'terminated' its 'professional relationship' with the Dodgers outfielder." I hope something bad isn't coming along.
Keep in mind that agencies aren't dropping clients who make them boatloads of money for bat flips or not hustling out of the box. Puig is set to make over $9 million in 2018 before likely topping $10 million in arbitration in 2019 and then hitting free agency thereafter. It's a good chunk of money for an agency to leave on the table.
- If you are in the DC area you should check this out. Via Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily; "Library of Congress “Baseball Americana” Exhibit to Include Cards, Memorabilia."
- Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "Buehler aiming for spot in Dodgers' rotation: Following rapid rise through system, LA's top prospect eager to make mark."
"[We'll] probably be a little conservative early on," general manager Farhan Zaidi said. "Kind of build him up, maybe a little more conservatively than the typical starting pitcher, just because of how much he pitched in 2017 and coming off the Tommy John surgery."We would certainly expect by the end of camp, or in the later stages of camp, he'll be caught up with the other guys. We expect him to get stretched out as a starter."
- Tracey Hackler at the Knight's Lance provides a bunch of preview pics from Paninig's soon to be released 2018 Donruss Baseball card set. Below is a look at cards for Cody Bellinger and Clayton Kershaw. This product will hit stores on March 7th.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *