They could do no wrong last night. Just about everything the Dodgers tried worked - to an almost mystifying degree. Balls were dropped, grounders booted, extra bases were taken and a pitcher (who can't hit a lick) was walked during an obvious pinch-hit situation with the bases loaded on four straight.
Yeah... It was one of those games, and unlike the Dodgers storied past we did not end up the butt of jokes the next day. Instead, everyone is wondering if this steam locomotive can be stopped. Per Ken Gurnick and Carrie Muskat at MLB.com:
"I think that, right now, we're just laser-focused on trying to win baseball games," said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts. "So that obviously, if [a sweep] presents itself, obviously it will be great. But right now our focus is [Cubs Game 4 starter Jake] Arrieta and trying to figure out a way to win a baseball game tomorrow night."These guys are far from content.
Photo above of LA City Hall in Dodger Blue via Mayor Eric Garcetti on twitter. Below are more links to check:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1977 Yankees outfielder Reggie Jackson broke LA's heart. He walloped three homers on three consecutive pitches against the Dodgers to win Game 6 and the World Series. If you must you can watch highlights here.
- Happy Birthday, Burt Shotton, Wally Millies, Roy Cullenbine, Andy Carey, Jerry Royster, Alan Mills & Alex Cora!
- Video: Dave Roberts speaks to the media after the Dodgers 6-1 win over the Chicago Cubs in Game 3 of the NLCS. (video link)
- Video: Andre Ethier speaks with the media after hitting a home run in the Dodgers 6-1 win over the Chicago Cubs in Game 3 of the NLCS. (video link)
- Video: Alanna Rizzo speaks with Chris Taylor after hitting a home run and a triple in the Dodgers 6-1 win over the Chicago Cubs in Game 3 of the NLCS. (video link)
- I got a good chuckle about this one. Per Chris Cwik at Big League Stew; "Javy Baez gives Yasiel Puig a Dikembe Mutombo finger wag after tag."
- Go Metro! Via @metrolosangeles on twitter:
Happy to see our friends and colleagues at the @cta providing great service to all the @Cubs fans leaving the game early! 👍⚾️🚞— Metro (@metrolosangeles) October 18, 2017
- Per Mark David at Variety; "Dodgers Star Yasiel Puig Buys Encino Villa."
- This is here just for fun. Per TMZ, LA Dodgers Winning it All 'Great for America'... Says Former LA Mayor.
"It would be great for the city of Los Angeles. It's great for America. Everybody loves the Dodgers," Antonio Villaraigosa told TMZ Sports.
- Via Bill Shaikin at the LA Times; "Vin Scully talks about Justin Turner's home run, and watching rather than working the playoffs."
“I wouldn’t have said much,” he said. “I would have just said, as always, ‘It’s gone,’ and then shut up.”And then Scully chuckled.
“I do my best work saying nothing,” he said.
- A must read! Via Patrick M. O'Connell at the Chicago Tribune; "Baseball-loving brothers, now in 90s, were indispensable to Cubs, Dodgers for decades."
After enduring more than a year in an internment camp for the Japanese during World War II, the brothers emerged to become an integral part of the operations for two of baseball’s most iconic franchises.Yosh Kawano spent nearly 65 years at Wrigley Field, working the Cubs or visitors’ clubhouse. His younger brother, Nobe, held similar jobs in Los Angeles, where he prepared the Dodgers to take the field.
- This is a strange one. Per Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily; "Cubs World Series Ring Pulled from Auction; Scout Gone."
When it comes to the World Series rings they handed out to staff members, the Chicago Cubs are being as protective as a momma bear. A 2016 ring that had been consigned to Lelands’ current auction has been pulled after conversations between the team and the auction company.
- You should join the challenge, via Kershaw's Challenge on twitter:
Match #TeamKershaw with your own #ChallengeAccepted playoffs tee: https://t.co/meKZmdX3GZ. #ThisTeam pic.twitter.com/rW13AXbkZP— Kershaw's Challenge (@KershsChallenge) October 18, 2017
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *