|Worknesh Degefa, left, and Lawrence Cherono celebrate after winning the 2019 Boston Marathon / Photo: BAA|
In the closest finish in the men's race since 1988, Cherono, making his Boston Marathon debut, held off two-time Boston Marathon champion Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia to clip the finish line tape in first position.
|Kenya’s Lawrence Cherono / Photo credit: Boston Marathon|
Cherono outkicked Lelisa Desisa in a sprint to the tape passing him just steps away from the finish line.
Desisa finished was two seconds behind, in a time of 2:07:59, ahead of another Kenyan Kenneth Kipkemoi, who was third in 2:08:07.
|Ethiopia's Worknesh Degefa / Photo: Boston Marathon|
Kenya's Edna Kiplagat, the 2017 champion, finished second in 2:24:13 ahead of American Jordan Hasay, who finished third in 2:25:20.
Men's Elite Race Results:
1) Lawrence Cherono KEN (2:07:57)
2) Lelisa Desisa ETH (2:07:59)
3) Kenneth Kipkemoi KEN (2:08:07)
4) Felix Kandie KEN (2:08:54)
5) Geoffrey Kirui KEN (2:08:55)
Women's Elite Race Results:
1) Worknesh Degefa ETH (2:23:31)
2) Edna Kiplagat KEN (2:24:13)
3) Jordan Hasay USA (2:25:20)
4) Meskerem Assefa ETH (2:25:40)
5) Desiree Linden USA (2:27:00)
Copyright © 2011-2019 | AthleticsAfrica.Com