One of the biggest shockers to hit the football world was the omission of Lionel Messi for the FIFA The Best Award.
Despite winning the domestic double (LaLiga and Copa del Rey) last season, Messi didn’t make the top three nomination with Luka Modric, Mohamed Salah and Cristiano Ronaldo entering the shortlist.
45 – Lionel Messi finished the 2017-18 campaign as the top scoring player in the Top 5 European Leagues (all competitions); netting one more than both Mohamed Salah and Cristiano Ronaldo. Sensations. pic.twitter.com/Uw9BZ919K8
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) May 27, 2018
Reacting to the situation, Atletico Madrid’s Filipe Luis has slammed the decision to leave Messi out.
He said in a press conference: “(FIFA’s The Best) award is for the best player in the world.”
“In my opinion, Messi is the best player in the world. Today, last year, 2 years ago and 3 years ago.”
“From the moment that Messi does not win the award, with everything he does, it (the award) loses its credibility
“It doesn’t matter who wins the Champions League or if another played the final.”
“In my opinion, Messi is the best in the world and he has been for several years.”
“Neymar will be there one day, Salah deserves to be in the top 3, Cristiano deserves it too. But to demonstrate his level in such a way in every single game he plays, I don’t have any doubt that Messi is the best player in the world.”
Filipe Luis with real talk pic.twitter.com/lg3W7wkxR8
— infosmessi (@INFOSMESSl) September 5, 2018
Más claro imposible pic.twitter.com/pkPLDu8N1O
— Mundo Leo (@mundoleodeportv) September 6, 2018
The post Filipe Luis Slams Fifa over Messi snub and says The Best award has lost credibility appeared first on SOCCERINFOMANIA.