In which we celebrate a Dawg victory and check out what’s going on around the web...
So Georgia won. And in convincing fashion (which should be expected against a Sun Belt opponent, but has become increasingly uncertain at times in recent years). That was fun to watch. Before we get started with your tidbits from around Dawg Nation, I have a few thoughts from last night’s game:
1) Despite the performance of Jake Fromm in his first game as a Georgia Bulldog, I’m not thrilled with the QB situation going forward. Given the solid, if unspectacular, performance of Fromm and the issues evident in Jacob Eason’s limited action (compounded by his injury), things may get janky. If Eason is healthy (and I pray that he is, because he deserves his shot), Kirby has a tough decision going into the Notre Dame game. Even if he makes the right call, last night’s events mean there will be uncertainty going forward. If Eason plays, people will be calling for Fromm at the first sign of trouble. If Fromm plays, he will eventually have a bad game (because that’s what Freshmen do) and when that happens, people will be calling for Eason. It has the potential to grow into a full blown quarterback controversy. I hate uncertainty. That said, as you can tell from this morning’s headline, I’m very excited about the potential for Fromm puns.
2) Many will credit the performance of the defense, Fromm, Chubb, and Michel for the victory against Appalachian State. Those accolades are totally deserved. But I would like to take this opportunity to recognize punter Cameron Nizialek. Punters generally don’t get the glory, but Nizialek consistently put the defense in position to be successful. It’s been awhile since I didn’t get all twitchy every time we lined up to punt. Plus, when your official bio on the UGA website lists your high school as Columbia University, you’re just straight winning. Damn Good Dawg!
3) I’m sure Brice Ramsey is a good guy and he’s a DGD for coming back, but an SEC QB he is not. I don’t need to see what I saw in the 4th quarter again for the rest of the season. That was just ugly.
And now, on to your Sunday Morning Dawg Bites:
- Speaking of Jake Fromm, DawgNation asks: Just who is this mystery man that the media has relentlessly covered for the last 2+ years?
- Underdog Dynasty, SB Nation’s American Conference, Conference USA, and Sun Belt Conference blog, takes the interesting position that penalties are what doomed Appalachian State’s chances at victory. I’d suggest that the complete inability to effectively move the ball down the field and into the end zone may have had a more significant impact, but different strokes for different folks.
- Jason Butt of the Macon Telegraph provides an injury update on the state of the Dawgs following Saturday night’s game. Injuries to CB Aaron Davis and OL Solomon Kindley may be of particular interest moving forward.
- Finally, The Red and Black brings us a story of Auburn Auburning. It turns out a little bit of research goes a long way.
That’s all for this morning. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go sleep this off. Until next time...