The quarterback competition continues for Jacob Eason and Grayson Lambert.
Georgia’s updated depth chart for Saturday’s matchup against Nicholls State lists Grayson Lambert as first string with Jacob Eason as the backup. However, Kirby Smart didn’t name a starter and instead told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Seth Emerson that the situation would be handled similarly to last week.
“We’re going to continue to rep both of those guys, give those guys a lot of work, and make a decision as to what we’re going to do, whether it’s later in the week, or game time,” Smart said. “Both those guys will continue to work, and that’s the most important thing that they can continue to grow and get better and develop so that our offense can grow and develop and get better.”
The coaches may regard Lambert at this point to be the better game manager, there is no denying Eason’s potential after Saturday’s debut against North Carolina. SB Nation’s Bill Connelly came away impressed with Eason, in what was a down week for many SEC signal callers.
And that is what makes his debut so impressive. Eason came in for the Bulldogs in relief of Greyson Lambert. Eason didn’t have any meltdown moments when things didn’t go well. And late in the third quarter with Georgia trailing, he identified a matchup of a receiver on a linebacker, but instead of staring it down, he first looked off before coming back to it and dropping the ball over the linebacker and in front of the safety for a 51-yard completion to Isaiah McKenzie.
- In other news, freshman running back Elijah Holyfield could make his debut for the Bulldogs this week while Sony Michel still has not been cleared for contact.
- Kirby Smart might not be a “fullback guy” but walk-on Cameron Payne may be changing his mind.
- Isaiah Wynn left Saturday’s game with a leg injury but he was back on the practice field for Monday’s session.
- Chuks Amaechi also returned to practice after suffering a sprained ankle in Saturday’s game. Receiver Riley Ridley dressed but did not take part in the session due to an ankle injury of his own.
- Maurice Smith talked about his first game with the Bulldogs.
- Lorenzo Carter discusses what the defense is doing to improve.