Super Bowl things discussed:
- Brady can’t play defense (or receiver).
- Matt Patricia to Lions: Ziggy is probably 40.
Signing Day things discussed:
- Brian: Needs to be better, don’t think it’s going to be better enough. Best recruit they got since the season started (so after Muhammad)? Something fell apart after the professional recruiting guys came in. Pep’s an NFL guy that doesn’t help. Drevno whiffs on every big-time OT he goes after. What does the recruiting operation inside look like? This and the OL seem like the same problem.
- Ed: Not worried, play football.
- Craig: Should get a four-star out of every two three-stars. Coaching staff leaning on evaluation. Doesn’t agree with a lot of four- and three-star evaluations. Shouldn’t have passed on Alaric Jackson, now gonna be an All-B1G guy for Iowa.
- Sam: The bad season was a problem.
- They couldn’t even get guys on campus in January—this looked like Rich Rod at the end of his career. That OL was completely terrible, probably used effectively against M’s recruiters.
- Mistake to pick fights with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State when they don’t have the season to back it.
- Giving Partridge the recruiting coordinator job is not a mistake: overhaul of recruiting efforts expected.
- Lost their all-star recruiting staff from 2016-’17: Bam Richards, Gwen Bush, Tony Tuioti, et al. New people need to get up to speed on cultivating relationships.
- At one point does Drevno get put under the microscope? Sam: Brace yourself for no changes there. OT development will be on display this year—last year they didn’t have the guys to throw at it (Ulizio, JBB, Runyan
- Off to a very good start in 2019.
Basketball things discussed:
- Loss to Northwestern was a bad beat. Survived Minnesota, defense let them down in the second half, Michigan can’t get into their offense until late in the shot clock.
- Can’t fix the free throws.
- Matthews suffers because Michigan can’t get jumpshot spacing from the PG. Other guys can’t get their own shots.
- Craig: This team can’t shoot. Is a believer in hypnosis.
- Ira: Second-chance points against Minnesota disappeared vs Northwestern, and so did turnovers—need transition baskets to beat up on a good defensive team.
You can catch the entire episode on Michigan Insider's podcast stream on Audioboom.
Segment two is here. Segment three is here. Tiny hamsters eating burritos are still here.
THE USUAL LINKS
- Helpful iTunes subscribe link
- General podcast feed link
- Direct download link
- What's with the theme music?
This looked like Rich Rod at the end of his career, this Recruiting.