Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

Deontay Wilder and Luis Ortiz agree to rematch bout

Heavyweight world champion Deontay “The Bronze Bomber’’ Wilder will defend his WBC title when he takes on dangerous challenger and once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis “King Kong’’ Ortiz in a pay-per-view rematch bout on November 23 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

WBA Featherweight Champion Leo Santa Cruz will fight in the co-main event when he faces Miguel Flores for the WBA Super Featherweight Championship.

Wilder and Ortiz previously engaged in an explosive showdown in Brooklyn that was one of 2018’s best fights.  The first fight saw Wilder dropping Ortiz in the fifth round; Ortiz stunning and hurting Wilder in a seventh round that he won 10-8 on all the judges’ cards; and Wilder eventually dropping Ortiz again with a powerful right uppercut that forced the referee to stop the bout in the 10th round.

“When I fought Ortiz not only did he have the pedigree, but also he had the classification of being the boogeyman of the division,” said Wilder. “I agree with those who say that Luis Ortiz was my toughest fight to date. No one wanted to fight him and they still don’t. In the rematch there’s more confidence and more motivation to do what I have to do. I’ve already seen the style before. It’s going to make it more fun. I can’t wait to see how he tries to handle me when I’m at my best."

As confident as Wilder may be, the fight certainly has risks for him.  Wilder and fellow heavyweight star Tyson Fury already have agreed to a rematch of their prior draw, which is set to take place in 2020.  That rematch will be one of the more lucrative bouts in the sport, and a loss to the dangerous southpaw Ortiz could jeopardize that big payday.

“I have to give Deontay Wilder a lot of credit for taking this fight because it shows he has the heart of a true champion,” said Ortiz. “He is not at all scared to take a dangerous fight, because let’s be honest, this is the most dangerous fight for him.  In my opinion, he’s the best heavyweight in the world until someone beats him, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do on November 23 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on FOX Sports PBC Pay-Per-View. ‘King Kong’ is coming to Las Vegas!”

Wilder (41-0-1, 40 KOs), a bronze medal winner for the U.S. boxing team at the 2008 Olympic Games, has more than lived up to the nickname “The Bronze Bomber.’’ The 33-year-old Wilder has knocked out all but one of the men that he has faced in the ring, making him one of the most feared single-punch knockout artist in boxing today.

The fight will be Wilder’s third title defense in 11 months. He is coming off a highlight-reel first round knockout of Dominic Breazeale in Brooklyn on May 18. The rematch against Ortiz will be his 10th title defense.

Ortiz (31-1, 26 KOs) has ripped off three-straight victories since suffering the only loss of his career in that first match with Wilder in 2018, including most recently winning a unanimous decision over Christian Hammer on March 2.

Outside of the ring, Wilder and Ortiz share a common bond—they’re both motivated to fight for their daughters. Wilder’s oldest daughter, Naieya, was born with spina bifida, motivating Wilder to take up boxing to pay for her medical expenses. Ortiz’s daughter, Lismercedes, has a painful skin condition called epidermolysis bullosa, which results in painful skin blistering.  Ortiz has worked to raise awareness for her affliction.

By Staff of TheDailySportsHerald.com



This post first appeared on TheDailySportsHerald, please read the originial post: here

Share the post

Deontay Wilder and Luis Ortiz agree to rematch bout

×

Subscribe to Thedailysportsherald

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription

×