The Brazilian jiu-jitsu is a combination of several martial arts such as wrestling, Judo, Vale-Tudo, grappling, and more, but the rules are different. In the 1920’s beginning, the Gracie jiu-jitsu family takes the lead to develop the Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Taking the initiative to create the first Gracie BJJ school. And this fact had taken BJJ through a lot of critical changes to become the best martial arts to learn.
What follows is a brief history of the Gracie jiu-jitsu, and how this family has participated in the BJJ progress.
What is Gracie jiu-jitsu history?
The Gracie jiu-jitsu is a martial arts family with deep knowledge in this beautiful sports discipline. And, this gift motivates it to create a new martial art called Brazilian jiu-jitsu with the help, coaching, and teaching of Mitsuyo Maeda (first jiu-jitsu teacher for the Gracie family).
Let’s examine the Gracie BJJ chronology time progress
- First of twenty century: Mitsuyo Maeda was moved to Brazil and he creates the first jiu-jitsu academy ever, where Carlos Gracie was his student who was an excellent student.
- 1925s: The Gracie jiu-jitsu family takes the lead when Carlos Gracie creates his jiu-jitsu academy. So, he takes Brazilian jiu-jitsu discipline forward with the help of his brothers.
- The 1980s: The Gracie BJJ family members move to the United States with a ton of Brazilian jiu-jitsu background pieces of knowledge.
- The 1990s: the Brazilian jiu-jitsu makes the buzz in the United States. Besides, it becomes famous, especially when Royce Gracie won a fight in the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) against a strong martial arts opponent. Then after that Royce Gracie was undefeated in similar events. Indeed, he was in that time a great introducer of the unrevealed benefits of Brazilian jiu-jitsu.
- Today: the Brazilian jiu-jitsu is very famous, developed, and everywhere (Brazil Europe America). Thus, we find it in the UFC, MMA (Mixed Martial Art), self-defense techniques, etc.
Gracie BJJ school philosophy
Gracie jiu-jitsu family achieves the dream of turning Brazilian jiu-jitsu to a world-class discipline known worldwide. However, this dream was not easy. Indeed, to attain it the Gracie family adopts a strong philosophy with effective core principals to support their purpose. Let’s take a look of the top principles of the Gracie BJJ school since the start:
Gracie BJJ masters Carlos and Hélio believed that the jiu-jitsu fighter must be efficiently succeeded to achieve great results with minimum effort and energy. Therefore, the Gracie jiu-jitsu students tend to believe that their BJJ opponent is always better technically, large, and strong. Thus, the Gracie BJJ students concentrate their effort on jiu-jitsu knowledge and practice, on the road of developing their BJJ conditioning, strength, throws, chokes, locks, grips, ….
Healthy habit for BJJ progress
The Gracie jiu-jitsu students ought to be a great model outside the academy. They use to adopt healthy core values and principles in their normal life, such as:
- Eat healthy foods.
- Be honest, helpful, and respectful.
- Be ready for success with the hard-working and the right mindset.
Starting a Brazilian jiu-jitsu discipline will be one of your greatest decisions. But, it’s not a vacation trip, though; you need to be patient seeking your BJJ success. Besides, if you are a beginner jiu-jitsu student be patient during the jiu-jitsu learning process.
In addition, have fun while you learn the BJJ basics techniques and developing the strength/conditioning “to get through the hardest jiu-jitsu moment you need take only one step at a time, but you must keep ongoing”. Patience is a great jiu-jitsu principle needed to improve your jiu-jitsu.
Controlled BJJ rhythm
In the desire of winning many fights, many jiu-jitsu fighters learn and work hard “no give up “. In fact, one of the essential factors that allow you to win a BJJ fight is Control. Therefore, tough control gives you a step forward to maintain a dominant jiu-jitsu position. Indeed, it leads you to score points or submit your opponent, and if not you risk losing your Brazilian jiu-jitsu fight.
Most successful Gracie jiu-jitsu family tree member.
- 1st generation: Carlos Gracie Sr., Hélio Gracie.
- 2nd generation: Carlos Gracie jr, Rickson Gracie, Royce Gracie, Carley Gracie, Carlson Gracie, Relson Gracie, Rorion Gracie, Carlos Robson Gracie
- 3rd Generation: Kron Gracie, Renzo Gracie, Rener Gracie, Clark Gracie, Kyra Gracie, Roger Gracie.
- 4th Generation: Neiman Gracie.
The Gracie jiu-jitsu family has taken Brazilian jiu-jitsu to a high level on becoming one of the best martial arts to learn.
The post Gracie jiu-jitsu appeared first on Jiujitsu News.
This post first appeared on Jiu-Jitsu News: BJJ Technique, Lifestyle, Training, And Competition, please read the originial post: here