When the Canucks were on a 4 game Win Streak, and the Blues won the Winter Classic...
It’s been a long time since our Vancouver Canucks boasted a four-game win streak. It was 22 October, and the Canucks were about to face the Los Angeles Kings for a chance to extend the win streak to five. Fast forward 9 consecutive losses later, and this team was on the verge of imploding - from star players being touted in trade proposals by fans, to calls for a coaching change and even a change in GM.
Now we sit on another four-game win streak. If we lose another 9 straight, I’d call for Willie’s head. However, he’s finally worked out some lines, fixed the D pairings, and played his goalies smarter. And this team - this supposed 65pt team - is now just 1pt off a wildcard spot.
So while we enjoy this warm fuzzy feeling, let’s take a look at what’s happening around the league:
- Today’s big news: Thomas Drance has been named as the Florida Panthers’ VP of Communications and PR. Quite the rise! [Panthers]
- With last night’s goal, Bo Horvat eclipsed his rookie season point total in 29 less games. Just throwing that out there. [NHL]
- iMac is impressed that we can win games without Jannik Hansen, Erik Gudbranson, Alex Burrows and Derek Dorsett. I am too, actually. [Province]
- Sven Baertschi’s stat line right now: 36GP, 10G, 12A, 22P, +2, 0PIMS. Could he be a dark horse for a Lady Byng? Of players with 0PIMS, Johnny Gaudreau leads scorers with 25pts. No link, I’m just leaving it hanging there. Come back to me in 5 games’ time and we’ll see if he’s still in the running.
- Congrats to Anton Rodin on picking up his first-ever NHL point, with an assist on Bo Horvat’s goal.
26 year-old Anton Rodin has his first career NHL point with an assist on Horvat's 1-0 goal. #Canucks— Canucks Now (@CanucksNow) January 3, 2017
- This may have been the better news to come from the game though:
The good news with Anton Rodin replacing Alex Burrows is that the line gets a nickname upgrade. All hail RoBoBaer! #Canucks pic.twitter.com/DR3zuzOC2b— Harrison Mooney (@HarrisonMooney) January 3, 2017
- A rehash of old news it may be, but if the Avs are seriously considering trading Matt Duchene or Gabriel Landeskog, we should be in there with a Hutton + offer. Landeskog is so hot. [The Score]
- Shares in Taco Bell took a nosedive at this news: Eddie Lack has a concussion. He’s not played since 10 November. [Hurricanes]
- John Tortorella has always been a great coach, and I’ve always said it. Okay, you got me. But his BJs are on a 15 game winning spree, which nearly matches his entire season’s wins total while he was in Vancouver. [NHL]
- In good news, the Blues beat the Blackhawks in the Winter Classic. Turns out the Hawks are rubbish in outdoor games. [NHL]
Question of the day: What is Sven Baertschi’s ceiling?
This post first appeared on Vancouver Canucks Schedule, Roster, News, And Rumo, please read the originial post: here