The 2018 NFL Draft has loads of quarterback intrigue. We’ve received the UCLA vs USC with two star quarterbacks, and we’ve obtained the dramatic distinction of an undersized, productive quarterback from the Huge 12 towards the man with the measurement and arm power scouts drool over, however with out nice school productiveness. Listed here are our Prime 10 quarterbacks in the draft:
1. Sam Darnold, USC. “Best” doesn’t imply prepared proper now. Sam Darnold isn’t a completed product; no QB coming into the draft after beginning for 2 seasons (27 begins) is. However relating to the QB with the highest ceiling, it’s definitely Darnold. His sturdy 6-foot-four, 220 pound body might be underneath intense scrutiny, however he seems thicker, virtually Andrew Luck-ish. In case you hear individuals say, “However USC QBs …” ignore them. Darnold’s stats dipped this previous season (26 TDs, thirteen INTs) primarily as a result of he misplaced his greatest deal with (Zach Banner) and greatest receiver (Juju Smith-Schuster) to the NFL Draft. Sure, that occurred to Josh Allen (Wyoming) too, however Darnold nonetheless accomplished sixty three % of his passes for a whopping eight.6 yards per try. When accidents hit the offensive line, Darnold was seeing ghosts in the pocket – go watch the Ohio State tape. I’d be shocked if Darnold didn’t go 1st general. Doesn’t flip 21 till the summer time, so it’s possible he sits for half a season earlier than beginning.
2. Josh Rosen, UCLA. There’s a case to be made that Josh Rosen (three seasons, 30 begins) is extra able to contribute as a rookie than Darnold. Rosen did out-play Darnold head-to-head this season. He comes with extra “baggage” than Darnold – nothing dramatic, and never almost what Baker Mayfield brings – however all-indicators level to Rosen being a starter for a decade in the NFL. Barring one thing cataclysmic right here in the subsequent few months, it’ll be a stunner if he falls out of the Prime 5.
three. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma. He’ll be the most talked-about QB for the subsequent three months. I do consider he could be profitable in the NFL, however I might not draft him in the Prime 10. Drew Brees went in the 2nd spherical. Russell Wilson in the third. Dak Prescott in the 4th. There was no strain on them to ship. If a nasty staff drafts an undersized QB out of the Massive 12, it in all probability gained’t finish properly. Mayfield turns 23 in April, and his profession so far is the stuff goals are made from. If he went to the proper workforce with the proper tradition, I can see a Russell Wilson-sort profession.
four. Lamar Jackson, Louisville. Sure, Jackson is a developmental QB who will want a few years of labor, however I truly assume he has a better ceiling than the subsequent man on this record due to his velocity and the proliferation of school offenses into the NFL. Sure, he’s flawed as a result of he doesn’t undergo his progressions as a QB, and is fast to tuck-and-run. However his productiveness – 9,000 yards passing, four,000 yards dashing and 119 mixed TDs plus his measurement (6-foot-three) can’t be ignored. I’d seize Jackson in the third or 4th spherical; it’s extra probably he’ll be passed by the finish of the 2nd spherical. Worst case is he makes no progress after two seasons, however exhibits out in the preseason and also you’re capable of flip him to a group determined for a QB.
5. Josh Allen, Wyoming. My points with him are many, and have been laid out right here and right here. Bizarre how no one makes a problem about Allen beginning fewer video games than Darnold. I wouldn’t take Allen in the 1st spherical, however some NFL group will. Towards Iowa, Oregon and Nebraska, Allen was forty eight-of-ninety six for 427 yards, one TD and eight interceptions.
6. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State: Has the measurement (6-foot-5) and the look and put up astronomic stats in three years enjoying for Mike Gundy. Began the season as a fringe Heisman contender and had the potential to be a 1st spherical draft decide. Struggled in three video games this season: vs Texas (zero TD passes), vs TCU (2 TDs, fifty three % completions) and vs Oklahoma (2 INTs, fifty one % completions). Lit up everybody else. I really feel he’s simply one other Massive 12 QB, and none of them have fared properly in the NFL over the final decade.
7. Riley Ferguson, Memphis. Two-yr starter has an incredible backstory, as he was out of soccer in 2014. That yr, he was detailing automobiles at a dealership and dealing at a fence firm. Again in 2012, he dedicated to Tennessee and arrived on campus regardless of the coach who signed him (Derek Dooley) getting fired. You possibly can see the progress in his recreation – from three interceptions vs Mississippi in 2016 to 6 touchdowns vs UCLA in 2017. Threw for 7955 yards and 70 TDs in two seasons. Simply turned 23 this month. Looks like a third/4th spherical decide.
eight. Luke Falk, Washington State. A concussion, a benching and a wrist damage slowed what was imagined to be a memorable senior yr, nevertheless it shouldn’t take away from the reality Falk had a terrific three-yr run. Had the 2nd largest hand measurement at the Senior Bowl (9 three/eight). Turned 23 in December. The early-spherical draft chatter for him throughout the season is gone; must be a mid-spherical draft decide.
9. Kurt Benkert, Virginia. Popping out celebration was towards Miami in November, when the Cavaliers almost shocked Miami and Benkert threw for 384 yards and 4 TDs. He’s 6-foot-four, 215 kilos, and the largest factor anybody will speak about is his cannon arm. He broke a few of Matt Schaub’s data. Turns 23 in July. From a stats standpoint, he’s on par with Josh Allen – low completion proportion, low yards-per try.
10. Mike White, Western Kentucky. Has good measurement (6-foot-four, 221 kilos). Began at South Florida however transferred to Western Kentucky, the place he seemed like a brand new participant for 2 years: 27 begins, sixty six % completions, 8500 yards, sixty three TDs. A extremely-touted baseball prospect in highschool, he obtained his first begin at QB as a senior – after which led his staff to a State title. Will take part in the Senior Bowl and at the NFL Mix. Projected as a fifth or sixth spherical decide.