One of the NFL's flagship franchises will now be hiring what will be its fourth head Coach in six years — fifth if you include Steve Spagnuolo's four-game interim stint at the end of the 2017 campaign following the firing of Ben McAdoo.
He was a finalist for the Jets job last year and could emerge as leading candidate for Big Blue if his ideas for a staff and philosophical approach meshes with Dave Gettleman if he stays on as general manager.
If Gettleman is retained, Garrett fits the mold of an old school coach who is certainly accustomed to yielding power to team brass, considering his time in Dallas with Jerry Jones.
He's a favorite of Bill Parcells — whose opinion still holds some weight in the Giants' building, provided he is asked to express it — and would be a great leader of a locker room.
He's tried to rehabilitate his image from a failed stint as a head coach in Denver, and leaving the Colts at the alter after initially accepting the job that ultimately went to Frank Reich could work against him.
It's hard to imagine McDaniels being willing to mesh with Gettleman, but the former did do extensive pre-draft work with Daniel Jones with the Patriots, so he could be intrigued by the Giants' young quarterback.
- Giants keep or dump: Who are the building blocks around Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley? Who has to go?nj.com
- Report: Giants HC Pat Shurmur let go after second seasonDraftKings Nation
- Giants players supporting Pat Shurmur until the bitter endGiants Wire
- Breaking: The Giants Have Fired Head Coach Pat ShurmurThe Spun (blog)
- Pat Shurmur says he has not had conversations with Giants ownership about futureSNY.tv
- Giants news, 12/30: Pat Shurmur, Dave Gettleman, more end-of-season headlinesBig Blue View
- Dave Gettleman optimistic as Giants anxiously await decisionsNew York Post
- Growth of young Giants provides silver lining in disappointing seasonGiants.com
- Reports: Giants Fire Coach Pat ShurmurWFAN