Describing it as the middle-aged bookend to “Euphoria,” the network's controversial series about Gen Z suburbanites that resembles a neon-colored high-speed crash of sexuality and party drugs, is a handier elevator pitch to the question of what this show is like and what it’s about.
Maybe that’s just fine if you’re expecting HBO to do with Tom Perrotta ’s series what it and other networks have done when a limited, supposedly one-and-done project finds success, and calls for a second season.
So she does the usual activity of signing up for a writing class and, in the wake of a wine-soaked remark from her friend Jane (Casey Wilson), types a porn term in a search engine and slides down a rabbit hole.
The divergence, a sort of narrative soft left turn, is that Hahn’s doting mother has no clue that she’s raised a bully and a moron whose reference library for human interaction obviously comes from fail videos and porn, any more than Brendan can understand why the world doesn’t fall into place for him in college as easily as it does in high school.
Slowly, and by way of a surprising friendship that she develops with a former classmate of her son’s (an excellent performance by Owen Teague), it dawn on Eve that the generational framework defining her role in a marriage and in parenthood may be insufficient.
The puzzling part is that it ends with possibility for future episodes and storylines, and the sensation that if it doesn’t return to expand upon those unresolved developments, we’ll be fine going on to the next.
- TV This Week: 'Silicon Valley'; 'Mrs. Fletcher'; 'Rothko: Pictures Must Be Miraculous'OregonLive.com
- Stream It Or Skip It: 'Mrs. Fletcher' On HBO, Where Kathryn Hahn Plays An Empty Nester Discovering Her Sexual SelfDecider
- Mrs. Fletcher tops this week's TV must-seesSaltWire Network
- 'Mrs. Fletcher' reviews: Kathryn Hahn is 'indomitable' in HBO limited series, which is like 'The Leftovers' with 'a lot more ...Goldderby
- Come for the fine 'Mrs. Fletcher,' but stay for her jerk sonCanton Repository
- TV Best Bets for October 27Arizona Daily Star
- Silicon Valley returns for its final season, but Mrs. Fletcher is just getting startedThe A.V. Club
- Christmas Movie Season Has Started But Look! Kathryn Hahn is HerePajiba
- 'Mrs. Fletcher' Release Date, Cast, Trailer, Plot: Everything You Need to Know About Kathryn Hahn's HBO showNewsweek