Cleveland Browns defensive end Chris Smith is mourning the death of his girlfriend, Petara Cordero, who was struck and killed early Wednesday.
Petara Cordero, the girlfriend of veteran defensive end Chris Smith, was struck and killed on I-90 in Cleveland as the couple stood on the side of the highway after a tire blew out on their car.
The 47-year-old woman who struck Cordero told police she had been drinking, but as of this writing she had not been charged — investigators are awaiting a toxicology report to see if her blood-alcohol level was above the legal limit of 0.08.
Earlier Tuesday, Smith told cleveland.com how excited he was that Petara and Haven had flown up from Charlotte to see him this weekend, saying he was blessed and grateful to have them in his life along with his two children from a previous relationship, and sharing how happy he was.
“Words cannot describe the sorrow we feel for Chris following the loss of his girlfriend, Petara,” Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam said in a statement.
The Browns will have counselors at the team facility this week to provide emotional support and care to players and staff, in addition to their usual in-house resources.
- Girlfriend of Browns DE Chris Smith killed in roadside accidentUSA TODAY
- Petara Cordero, Girlfriend of Cleveland Browns' Chris Smith, Dies at 26Heavy.com
- Cleveland Browns star's girlfriend dies in a car accident weeks after giving birthCNN
- Girlfriend of Cleveland Browns defensive end Chris Smith is killed in car crashFox News
- Girlfriend of Cleveland Browns' Chris Smith killed after being struck by carNBCNews.com
- Petara Cordero, girlfriend of Browns' Chris Smith, hit by car and killedNBCSports.com
- Petara Cordero girlfriend of Browns' DE Chris Smith, tragically killedKRON4
- Petara Cordero: 5 Things OnBrowns Star Chris Smith's GF,26, Who Was Killed In CarAccidentHollywood Life
- Girlfriend, 26, of Cleveland Browns defensive end Chris Smith is struck and killed on highway median after they pulled ...Daily Mail