The New England Patriots had a busy day yesterday: not only did they return to practice after a three-day absence, the team also made a minor change to their roster by re-signing offensive tackle Cole Croston and waiving cornerback D’Angelo Ross with an injury designation.
On top of it all, the Patriots also acquired tight end Eric Saubert from the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.
In order to get Saubert on board, the Patriots needed to make an additional roster move — and they did so today: according to ESPN’s Field Yates , the team has waived fourth-string quarterback and part-time wide receiver Danny Etling .
The second-year man had virtually no chance of making the roster with three other passers ahead of him on the depth chart and the position change going anything but smoothly.
The seventh-round pick was in a tough spot from the get-go as he entered an experienced position depth chart headed by undisputed starter Tom Brady and seasoned backup Brian Hoyer .
Etling’s position did not improve this offseason, quite the opposite: when the Patriots drafted Jarrett Stidham in the fourth round, his fate was effectively sealed.
- NFL Rumors: Patriots Waive QB/Receiver Danny Etling After Failed Position ChangeNESN.com
- Patriots waive Danny EtlingNBCSports.com
- Patriots reportedly waive QB/WR Danny EtlingWEEI (blog)
- Report: Former LSU QB Danny Etling waived by Patriots247Sports
- New England Patriots waive QB/WR Danny Etling to create room for new tight end (Report)MassLive.com
- Report: Patriots cut QB/WR Danny EtlingPatriots Wire
- Patriots Rumors: QB Danny Etling Waived; Was Trying to Convert to WRBleacher Report
- Patriots rookie N'Keal Harry misses practice with 'variety of ailments'ClutchPoints