PHOENIX -- Given the way things have gone this season for Vince Velasquez, it might have seemed like Monday night’s performance came straight out of left field.
Making his seventh start since re-entering the Phillies’ rotation -- and the first since his memorable left-field cameo last Friday night -- Velasquez completed seven Innings for the first time in almost exactly a year.
He broke out a pair of skinny uniform pants tapered to his legs -- he even referred to them as “tights” -- that he said he custom-ordered after the all-star break.
“I had some family friends back at home that said, ‘Why don’t you change it up a little bit?’ I was like, ‘All right, I’ll try it out.’ I started wearing, I guess, the tights, if you want to call them that.”
But he pitched to contact, recorded outs quickly, and got through seven innings for the first time since Aug. 3 of last season against the Miami Marlins.
Velasquez also appeared energized after his turn in the outfield in the 14th and 15th innings three nights earlier, in which he threw out a runner at home plate and nearly cut down another.
- Velasquez tosses 7 strong in Phillies' 7-3 win over D-backsThe Seattle Times
- Arizona Diamondbacks 3, Philadelphia Phillies 7: Goodbye Zack Godley and Hello Kevin GinkelAZ Snake Pit
- Battling for playoff spot, Diamondbacks forced to make tough roster decisionsAZCentral.com
- DFA for Zack Godley, back to Reno for Taylor Clarke12news.com KPNX
- Arizona Diamondbacks Clobber Washington NationalsLast Word on Baseball (blog)
- D'backs DFA Godley after disappointing seasonESPN Australia
- Former Arizona Wildcats pitcher Kevin Ginkel to be called up by DiamondbacksArizona Desert Swarm
- Report: D-Backs to designate Godley for assignmentthescore.com
- Phillies not yet ready to play Dickerson every dayMLB.com