CANTON, Ohio (AP) - For a while Thursday, Vic Fangio didn’t know if his long-awaited debut as a head coach would happen in the Hall of Fame game.
Trey Johnson’s interception of Matt Schaub’s pass after the Atlanta backup quarterback was pressured set up Denver at the Falcons 38 with 5:21 remaining.
A 14-yard pass interference call on fourth down against Rashard Causey kept Denver in it, but the Broncos were hurt by a holding penalty against rookie Ryan Crozier.
Unfazed, rookie Brett Rypien hurled a pass into the right corner of the end zone, where it was deflected and Winfree latched onto it with 1:26 remaining.
Ed Reed , Ty Law,Kevin Mawae , Gil Brandt,Johnny Robinson and the family of late Broncos owner Pat Bowlen also received loud ovations from the crowd of 20,802.
Drew Lock, Denver’s second-round draft pick and perhaps its quarterback of the future - Joe Flacco , acquired from Baltimore, if the starter but sat Thursday night - got plenty of action.
- NFL Hall of Fame Game: Remember Tom Brady's 2000 Preseason DebutHeavy.com
- Pro Football Hall of Fame to launch fantasy football gamecleveland.com
- NFL's 1st pass interference challenge flag thrown in Hall of Fame gameYahoo Sports
- Pro Football Hall of Fame Village delays frustrate neighbors in CantonWKYC.com
- Broncos vs. Falcons: 10 observations from Atlanta's preseason openerAtlantaFalcons.com
- VIDEO: Juwann Winfree Snags Toe-Dragging Tip Drill TD to Secure Hall of Fame Game Win for Broncos12up
- NFL Hall Of Fame Game PreviewuSports.org (blog)
- Broncos become first to test new pass interference challenge ruleYardbarker
- Long way from Folkston to Canton, Ohio for Champ BaileyAtlanta Journal Constitution