As Verstappen caught Gasly in the final corner, he ran wide and made contact with the ‘Wall of Champions’.“I arrived to the last chicane and I had Pierre in front of me,” Verstappen explained.
“He was told to speed up but I don’t know exactly what happened then so I arrived into the chicane, and basically in the wake of his car I understeered into the wall.”
On the radio Verstappen reported he “hit the wall out of the last corner” because “I had Pierre really close in front.” Gasly’s radio messages show he was warned about Verstappen when he was already in the braking zone for the final corner.
They told me he hit the wall but I didn’t exactly see what happened so I was trying to prepare my lap.”
2019 F1 season Browse all 2019 F1 season articles Author information Dieter Rencken Dieter Rencken has held full FIA Formula 1 media accreditation since 2000, during which period he reported from 300 grands prix plus other categories... Read more about Dieter Rencken, find all their articles and get in touch with them Keith Collantine Lifelong motor sport fan Keith set up RaceFans in 2005 - when it was originally called F1 Fanatic.
Having previously worked as a motoring... Read more about Keith Collantine, find all their articles and get in touch with them Posted on 8th June 2019, 7:228th June 2019, 9:47 Author Dieter Rencken Categories 2019 F1 season articles , F1 news Tags F1 , formula 1 , formula one , max verstappen , pierre gasly , verstappen
- Gasly warned "quite late" in Verstappen Canada practice incidentYahoo News UK
- Tardy communication led to Gasly/Verstappen FP2 mix-upF1i.com
- Gasly explains FP2 confusion that caused Verstappen wall hitMotorsport.com, Edition: Global
- Verstappen: Red Bull car has gone backwardsGPfans
- Max Verstappen sure Red Bull in the mix in CanadaMotorsport Week
- Verstappen: Red Bull felt strong despite results for Canada FP2 hitcrash.net
- Verstappen left confused after Gasly incidentPlanetF1 (blog)
- Verstappen & Gasly shrug off close call in Canada practiceInside Racing (press release) (blog)
- Red Bull drivers explain FP2 mix-up that put Verstappen in 'Wall of Champions'Formula 1