It also left behind a tail wind as the race began, with rain passing as the men’s push rim wheelchair competitors, the first in the field, took off at 9:02 a.m.
In the early going for the women, Worknesh Degefa of Ethiopia, who has a personal record two minutes better than anyone other woman in the field, has opened up a lead, but note that her three previous marathons were in Dubai, where the course is flat.
Among the women in the later waves is Joan Benoit Samuelson, the legendary Maine runner who won gold in the 1984 Olympic marathon, is back in the field, celebrating the 40th anniversary of her 1979 victory in Boston.
Linden and Sellers will return, but Shalane Flanagan, the four-time Olympian and 2017 New York City Marathon winner, is keeping to her promise to take a break from running.
Past winners like Geoffrey Kirui, Lelisa Desisa, Lemi Berhanu, Wesley Korir, Edna Kiplagat, Caroline Rotich and Sharon Cherop are competing as well.
30,349 total entrants (16,645 men and 13,704 women) 22,691 entrants residing in the United States of America 7,658 entrants from outside the United States 118 countries and all 50 U.S. states represented by participants $871,000: Amount of prize money to be awarded by principal sponsor John Hancock Financial 17 Boston Marathon champions will compete this year: Yuki Kawauchi (JPN), Des Linden (USA/MI), Geoffrey Kirui (KEN), Edna Kiplagat (KEN), Lemi Berhanu (ETH), Lelisa Desisa (ETH), Caroline Rotich (KEN), Wesley Korir (KEN), Sharon Cherop (KEN), Marcel Hug (SUI), Tatyana McFadden (USA/MD), Manuela Schar (SUI), Ernst van Dyk (RSA), Hiroyuki Yamamoto (JPN), Joshua Cassidy (CAN), and Masazumi Soejima (JPN).
- Driving rains, thunderstorms kick off Boston MarathonThe Boston Globe
- Here's How We Measured The (Enormous) Scope Of The Boston Marathonwgbh.org
- The Latest: Linden back defending Boston Marathon titleMinneapolis Star Tribune
- Boston Marathon: Video feed, preview and race updates hereMinneapolis Star Tribune
- 123rd Boston Marathon Officially UnderwayNECN
- Boston Marathon expected to be wet, windy (again)CNN International
- Boston Marathon runners, organizers adjust as rains greet startBoston Herald
- A year after winning the Boston Marathon, Des Linden is still Des LindenBoston.com
- Boston Marathon 2019: Rains, winds in forecast on Marathon Monday, anniversary of bombingWABC-TV
- Sports - AP NewsAP News