Chinese state Media also slammed those companies that make staff put in long hours at the office, without referencing Ma's post directly.
The 54-year old executive first waded into the debate over China's long working hours on Thursday , when comments he made to Alibaba employees about 996 were posted on the company's Weibo account.
Ma added that any prospective employees of Alibaba, one of the world's biggest tech companies, should be prepared to work 12 hours a day if they want to succeed.
Tesla ( TSLA ) co-founder Elon Musk has previously said he worked up to 120 hours per week when the electric vehicle maker struggled with production delays.
"There are way easier places to work, but nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week," he posted on Social Media site Twitter in November last year.
Jack Ma, founder of e-commerce giant Alibaba ( BABA ), has spoken out on Social media in recent days in support of the Chinese work practice known as "996."
- Alibaba's Jack Ma calls 12-hour days a 'blessing,' argues for 72-hour work weekFox Business
- Jack Ma called an 'insane VILE pig' on social media for endorsing 996 work scheduleNational Post
- Working 9 to 9: Chinese tech workers push back against long hoursThe Guardian
- Jack Ma defends the 'blessing' of a 12-hour working dayBBC News
- Alibaba co-founder defends controversial 12-hour working days and calls overtime a 'huge blessing'City A.M.
- Alibaba founder Jack Ma says working overtime is a 'huge blessing'CNBC
- Jack Ma backtracks on '996' working hoursMENAFN.COM
- GitHub - 996icu/996.ICU: Repo for counting stars and contributing. Press F to pay respect to glorious developers.GitHub
- Alibaba's Jack Ma calls the '996' — China's 72-hour work week — a 'huge blessing'MarketWatch
- Jack Ma defends 'truth over correctness' as overtime work routine comment evokes online furyRT