CHICAGO — Barely a week after he was bailed out of Jail while facing sex abuse charges, R. Kelly was taken back into custody on Wednesday for failing to pay his ex-wife more than $160,000 in child support.
Mr. Kelly’s return to jail came just hours after the airing of his first interview since he was charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse in connection with four women, three of whom prosecutors say were underage at the time.
On Wednesday, he was back in court, having been ordered last month to pay his ex-wife Andrea Kelly $161,663 in child support, according to The Chicago Sun-Times, about $30,000 less than the total he owes her.
Darryll Johnson, a spokesman for Mr. Kelly, said the singer arrived in court on Wednesday in “good spirits,” hoping to work out a deal in which he would pay his former wife as much as $60,000.
In the tape, the girl refers several times to having 14-year-old body parts and, according to Mr. Avenatti, the acts depicted in the video were different from those at the center of the 2008 case, eliminating any issue of double jeopardy.
Some of the interview covered allegations separate from Mr. Kelly’s criminal case: that he has held women in a kind of sexual and emotional captivity, dictating their every move, including when they can go to the bathroom.
- R. Kelly goes back to jail, takes risks with TV interviewMiami Herald
- Livid R. Kelly cries, calls sex abuse accusers liarsBoston Herald
- R. Kelly goes back to jail after failing to pay child supportWPIX 11 New York
- Gayle King Grills R. Kelly: 9 Times She Proved Herself a Better Person Than UsYahoo News
- R. Kelly faces threat of jail if he doesn't pay by Wednesday some $161000 in back child supportChicago Tribune
- 'I've Been Assassinated.' R. Kelly Angrily Denies Sexual Abuse Allegations in Interview With Gayle KingYahoo News
- R. Kelly taken back into custody after child-support hearingBoston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News
- The Latest: Parents: Kelly holding daughter against her willSacramento Bee
- R. Kelly headed back to Cook County Jail for not paying $161K in back child supportWGN-TV
- Timeline of R. Kelly's life and career - AP NewsAP News
- R. Kelly arrested, charged in Chicago with sexual abuseAssociated Press
- R. Kelly denies sexual abuse allegations in explosive interviewCBS News
- R. Kelly - AP NewsAP News
- R. Kelly leaves jail after posting $100K in sex abuse caseAssociated Press