Melania Trump was among the famous names paying tribute to Lagerfeld on social media, sharing the sketch of a suit he created for her and a photo of the completed outfit, which she wore to welcome Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife to the White House in February 2017.
Similarly, Iman remembered Lagerfeld: "Iconic, Extraordinary Talent, Gentle, Kind, Genius, Lethal Wit & Wicked sense of Humor!"
Other stars remembering Lagerfeld included Linda Evangelista, who called him the "great love of my life" on Instagram , and Linsday Lohan, who wrote that her "heart is broken" by the news.
Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo paid tribute to Lagerfeld on Twitter , calling him a "great artist and a friend with a rare sensibility who his whole life accompanied women in their freedom and empowerment."
Bernard Arnault, the chairman and CEO of Fendi parent company LVMH, said in a statement that the world has lost "a creative genius" with the death of Lagerfeld.
"I will always remember his immense imagination, his ability to conceive new trends for every season, his inexhaustible energy, the virtuosity of his drawings, his carefully guarded independence, his encyclopedic culture, and his unique wit and eloquence."
- Donald Trump, West Virginia, Karl Lagerfeld: Your Tuesday Evening BriefingNew York Times
- Karl Lagerfeld, Remembered by His Friends and CollaboratorsNew York Times
- Karl Lagerfeld didn't have a signature design — but he invented a new kind of ...Washington Post
- How Karl Lagerfeld's Signature Look Transformed Over the YearsW Magazine
- Icon Karl Lagerfeld, Fashion's True King Of Brand Spin, Dies at 85Forbes
- Karl Lagerfeld Is Remembered by Designers, Celebrities and Business TitansNew York Times
- Karl Lagerfeld Dead at 85: Remembering the Iconic Designer's Life in PicturesE! Online
- Karl Lagerfeld: A Look Back at His Iconic Career in FashionWWD
- Iconic couturier Karl Lagerfeld has diedPocono Record