The ringing in of each new year isn’t complete without “Auld Lang Syne” playing in the background.
The story goes that in 1788, poet Robert Burns sent the song lyrics to Scots Musical Museum.
Burns wrote that the song was ancient and that he was the first to record its words on paper, according to Scotland.org, part of Scotland is Now campaign’s 2017 report .
According to ABC News , the title means "times gone by" and “is about remembering friends from the past and not letting them be forgotten.”
The lyrics of "Auld Lang Syne" from Scottish poet Robert Burns are printed on a wall as part of an exhibition at the Morgan Library & Museum in New York on Dec. 9, 2011.
ABC reports it was musician Guy Lombardo who popularized the song in 1929 when his band used it during two radio performances in New York.
- 'Auld Lang Syne' Song Lyrics and Meaning for New Year's Eve 2018Newsweek
- The full lyrics to 'Auld Lang Syne' so you don't mumble your way through itwtkr.com
- What Does 'Auld Lang Syne' Mean? Song Lyrics & Stream Here!Just Jared
- An auld lang syne review of the worst predictions about TrumpThe Hill
- Sydney, Hong Kong kick off 2019 parties with dazzling fireworksGuardian (blog)
- Amazon's Alexa Echo can sing Auld Lang Syne on New Year's Eve – but will it ...Metro
- Will old acquaintance be forgot? Millennials SNUB Auld Lang Syne as streaming ...Daily Mail
- Tonight, toast the things, people that really matterManhattan Mercury
- History behind the New Year's song 'Auld Lang Syne'KUSI