With 4 minutes, 39 seconds remaining, trailing 17-13 and with a fourth-and-1 on the Cleveland 6-yard line, Broncos coach Vance Joseph sent kicker Brandon McManus out for a field goal as boos cascaded down from the stands.
McManus made the 29-yard field goal -- after a delay of game penalty -- and the Broncos did get the ball back after their defense stopped the Browns deep in Denver territory, but the Broncos couldn't move the ball past the 50-yard line to kick a game winner.
Joseph said "absolutely'' the Broncos' back-to-back runs for just 2 yards and no gain on the two plays before the field goal influenced the decision.
Broncos coach Vance Joseph said he trusted his defense to get a stop after a fourth-and-1 field goal try -- which it did -- but the Denver offense wasn't able to move the ball past the 50-yard line to kick a game winner.
Joseph said he believed the Broncos needed to get to the Cleveland 42-yard line, at minimum, for McManus to have a chance at a game winner.
Keenum took a low snap in the shotgun and was swarmed under by the Browns' rush for a sack to end the Broncos' chances.
- Broncos lose another heart-breaker in fourth quarterChicago Daily Herald
- Browns beat injury-plagued Broncos, keep playoff hopes aliveThe Boston Globe
- Cleveland Browns give fans another reason to believe with their biggest win of ...cleveland.com
- Broncos Analysis: Vance Joseph gets too conservative in 17-16 loss to BrownsThe Denver Post
- Playoffs?! Here's how the Browns can make the playoffsFanSided
- Twitter roasted Hue Jackson after the Browns won their sixth gameFor The Win
- Broncos report card and game balls from Week 15 against the Cleveland BrownsThe Denver Post
- Browns 17, Broncos 16: Browns rally to keep playoff hopes aliveCanton Repository
- Cleveland Browns beat injury-plagued Broncos 17-16Washington Post