With 40 seconds remaining, Ferris State (15-1) made it a two-point contest when Sy Barnett scored on a 5-yard run.
Ferris State (Mich.) quarterback Jayru Campbell, the Harlon Hill Trophy winner as D2's top player, flipped the ball to receiver Jevon Shaw, a former all-state high school quarterback who'd thrown a touchdown pass earlier in the game.
Blazers redshirt sophomore quarterback Rogan Wells tied a D2 championship game record with five touchdown passes.
After Valdosta State missed a field goal on the game's opening drive, Ferris State struck first when Shaw hit Craig on a halfback pass for 80 yards, another D2 championship game record, on the Bulldogs' first play from scrimmage.
However, the Valdosta offense found its highest gear, reaching the end zone on its next seven possessions to lead 28-24 at halftime and 49-38 after three quarters.
This win was especially sweet for Valdosta State's sixth-year defensive back, Raymond Palmer, who dedicated it to his father, who passed away Dec. 5.
- Valdosta State beats Ferris 49-47 for Division II titleWSB Atlanta
- Ferris State scores wacky touchdown in Division II title gameDetroit Free Press
- Ferris State comes up short in Division II title game, 49-47WZZM13.com
- Ferris State scores absurd TD with assist from opposing team in DII title gameFor The Win
- VIDEO: Ferris State Scores Craziest TD of Year Against Valdosta State in ...12up
- Have you ever seen a TD like this one from the Division II title game?SB Nation
- Ferris State scores incredible TD after Valdosta State defender throws pass ...Yahoo Sports
- Valdosta St. beats Ferris St. 49-47 for Division II titleABC News
- Valdosta St. holds on against Ferris St. for NCAA Division II football titleMagnoliareporter