United Continental ( NASDAQ:UAL ) tried to capture some media buzz last week by teasing "an historic package of new and expanded international routes" to be unveiled on Wednesday.
It plans to begin offering a second flight between San Francisco and Seoul four days a week as of April 1, complementing its existing daily service on that route.
In total, United's new and expanded international service from San Francisco will touch seven destinations and add up to 41 additional flights per week.
United Airlines' teaser about an historic announcement had some pundits speculating that the carrier was planning to return to Africa in a big way.
By contrast, while the changes announced this week will further solidify San Francisco's position as the best West Coast airline hub , they don't really qualify as historic.
This will be a faster route to India for United fliers coming from the western part of the U.S. than the alternative of flying through its Newark hub.
- Air Travel: United's Biggest-Ever San Francisco Expansion, Delta to Board by FareTravel Agent
- United Airlines Announces San Francisco ExpansionClickLancashire
- United Airlines Announces Major International Expansion From San FranciscoStock News Press
- United Airlines to start Delhi-San Francisco non-stop service from Dec 2019sbDirtySouthSoccer
- Daily Flight From Delhi To San Francisco declared by United AirlinesBestWebReporter
- United to start Delhi-San Francisco seasonal flight from December next yearTravelBizMonitor (press release)