Arizona State is the only Pac-12 school with a Division I team, a geographic polar compared to college hockey hotbeds like Massachusetts and Minnesota, but Walker's on-ice flair is helping to elevate the program on the national stage.
That formula has proven especially successful this season for Walker, who holds a share of the NCAA goals lead and has been consistently among the nation's top scorers.
The entire premise of the Sport revolves around ice, yet Phoenix is the warmest major U.S. city on average and sees snow once in a blue moon.
ASU has a recruiting weapon at its disposal that is seldom found at other schools with Division I team: the very sunny, warm-weather climate that makes it an outlier in college hockey.
Arizona’s stock has been rising in the sport, and Walker seems to be the next big face in the state’s hockey scene, following the lead of Scottsdale native and two-time NHL All-Star Auston Matthews, the first selection in the 2016 draft.
- No. 20 ASU set for 'big time challenge' against No. 6 Nevada247Sports
- Nevada-Arizona State: Three keys to victory and a predictionNevada Sports Net
- How to Follow, Game Thread: Arizona State vs. NevadaHouse of Sparky
- ASU Basketball: Devils look to continue winning ways vs. Southern, Colorado StateDevils in Detail
- ASU Basketball: Nevada PreviewHouse of Sparky
- Nevada vs Arizona State Betting Lines, Spread, Odds, and Prop BetsThe Duel
- Nevada vs Arizona State Preview and PredictionMy Fantasy Sports Talk (blog)
- No. 17 Arizona State women beat Southern 69-47Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Nevada Wolfpack vs. Arizona State Sun Devils 12/7/18, Prediction & OddsTheSpread.com