A Fitchburg State player has been indefinitely suspended from his team and barred from campus as a result of a vicious Cheap Shot he delivered late in Tuesday’s loss to fellow Massachusetts Division III school Nicholls College.
After appearing to turn his head to check whether the referee on the baseline was paying attention, Platt took his chance to retaliate, leaving Tenaglia writhing on the floor in pain clutching his face.
Another referee spotted the malicious cheap shot, blew his whistle and slapped Platt with his second technical foul of the game, resulting in his ejection.
It’s unclear what provoked Platt because neither Fitchburg State coach Titus Manderson nor athletic department spokeswoman Bettiann Michalik immediately returned messages left by Yahoo Sports.
Fitchburg State’s previous possession ended with Platt attempting an ill-advised step-back 3-pointer that sailed several feet over the rim, perhaps leaving him frustrated enough to make a poor decision seconds later.
The junior college transfer’s indefinite suspension is not a decision the school could take lightly considering he’s the Falcons’ leading scorer so far this season at 21.3 points per game.
- Division III basketball player suspended indefinitely after brutal sucker punchWashington Post
- WATCH: Basketball Player Throws Cheap Shot, Kicked Off Fitchburg State's Team ...Newsweek
- This cheap shot in a Division III basketball game might be the dirtiest play ...CBSSports.com
- Fitchburg State suspends Kewan Platt for dirty play, bars him from campusESPN
- Division III basketball player takes flagrant shot at opponent's headFor The Win
- WATCH: Brutal Hit That Led to Fitchburg State Basketball Player's SuspensionNBC 6 South Florida
- Viral video shows Fitchburg State University basketball player elbowing ...Fox News
- Fitchburg State basketball player suspended for elbowing opponent in the faceThe Boston Globe
- Fitchburg State basketball player suspended over vicious hit on opponentSentinel & Enterprise