The Blue Devils overwhelmed Eastern Michigan, carving up the Eagles zone with enough dunks and layups in the first half to fill a highlight reel on the way to a 84-46 basketball win Wednesday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Freshman Zion Williamson scored 21 points and fellow first-year player R.J. Barrett added 20 to lead Duke (3-0).
Though playing a zone defense believed capable of negating some of Duke’s edge in athleticism, the Eagles succumbed to a quick knockout.
The Blue Devils have five dunks during that stretch as they either converted baskets in transition or lobbed passes over top of the Eagles 2-3 zone defense.
While going seven minutes and 23 seconds without a field goal, the Eagles missed 10 consecutive shots and turned the ball over seven times as the Blue Devils showed aggressiveness and attitude on defense as well.
But Williamson launched himself toward the basket, grabbing the ball with two hands as the rim was even with his armpits and slamming home two more Duke points.
- Watch: Duke's Zion Williamson Goes Off Against Eastern MichiganSports Illustrated
- Zion Williamson's head came close to hitting the rim on a dunk and Twitter was ...For The Win
- Zion Williamson shows Eastern Michigan what the next level of basketball looks ...Yahoo Sports
- Zion Williamson Wins His Latest Battle Against GravityDeadspin
- Watch: Zion Williamson brings down house with alley-oopYardbarker
- Everyone's Freaking Out About What Zion Williamson Just DidThe Spun (blog)
- Duke men's basketball uses a dominant first half to take down Eastern MichiganDuke Chronicle
- Duke rolls over Eastern Michigan in Maui Invitational tuneup247Sports
- Williamson, No. 1 Duke rout Eastern Michigan 84-46Minneapolis Star Tribune