According to a new study by researchers at the University of Oxford and other institutions, published in the journal Nature Astronomy , the upper layer of Uranus's atmosphere consists largely of hydrogen sulfide—the same compound that gives farts their putrid stench.
By analyzing the infrared light patterns in the images they captured using the Gemini North telescope in Hawaii, astronomers were able to get a clearer picture of Uranus's atmospheric composition.
No matter where private or government space travel may take us in the future, NASA astronaut Neil Armstrong (1930-2012) will forever have a place as the first human to ever set foot on solid ground outside of our atmosphere.
According to the astronaut, he was fairly sure he stated, “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.” The “a” may have broken up on transmission or it may have been obscured as a result of his speaking patterns.
The lunar module Armstrong controlled had to be brought down on the moon’s surface from 50,000 feet up, avoiding rocks, craters, and other obstacles as it jockeyed into a position for landing.
When Armstrong, Aldrin, and Michael Collins (who remained behind in the command module while the other two touched down on the moon) returned to Earth and were fetched by the USS Hornet , they got a king’s welcome.
The bulb depicted Armstrong and came with a sound chip that said phrases like, “The Eagle has landed.” The two parties came to an undisclosed but “substantial” settlement in 1995, which was, to First Man, donated to Purdue University (minus legal fees).
- Uranus stench really is the butt of all jokesCNET
- Totally serious scientific study finds Uranus smells like rotten eggsNew York Daily News
- Maunakea observatory confirms Uranus surrounded by foul-smelling gasWest Hawaii Today
- Scientists Have Discovered That Uranus Stinks — LiterallyYahoo News
- Uranus smells like farts, scientists confirmCBC.ca
- Scientists Confirm Uranus StinksHowStuffWorks
- Uranus Really Does Smell Like Farts, Scientists ConfirmObserver
- Scientists Prove Uranus Smells Like Rotten Eggs—No, SeriouslySimplemost
- Aptly named Uranus does indeed smell of fartsNew Zealand Herald