The Caps rolled to a 6-3 win over the Jackets in Game 6 in Columbus on Monday night, finishing the series with four straight victories, three of them on the road and two of them in overtime.
Alex Ovechkin scored a pair of goals and drew a penalty in a span of less than six minutes late in the second period, opening up what had been a tight 1-1 game, and giving the Caps some much-needed breathing room.
Video: [email protected], Gm6: Ovechkin buries one-timer for PPG The Caps killed off the carryover portion of the Columbus power play to start the third, but the Jackets pulled to within a goal early in the third.
Just after officials elected to look the other way on a blatant trip of Caps defenseman Christian Djoos behind the Washington net, Pierre-Luc Dubois scored from the slot, making it a 3-2 game at 2:25 of the third.
He collected a loose puck in Washington ice, skated up the left wing wall and into Columbus territory, and sent a laser of a shot over Bobrovsky's glove hand to restore the Caps' two-goal lead, 4-2 at 3:56.
Video: [email protected], Gm6: Smith-Pelly wires home far-side wrister With Djoos boxed for interference less than a minute later, the Jackets had a virtually instant opportunity to get that one back on the power play.
Video: Postgame Locker Room | April 23 "You look at years past in the playoffs, and that's how it has to be," says Smith-Pelly, whose second goal of the set stands up as the game-winner of the clinching game.
- Capitals-Blue Jackets Game 6: Washington wins series; Pittsburgh, Sidney ...Washington Post
- Alex Ovechkin Carries Capitals Past Blue Jackets and Into Second RoundNew York Times
- Led by Ovechkin and Holtby, Capitals put away Blue Jackets in six games, get ...Baltimore Sun
- Caps roll over Blue Jackets, look to nemesis PittsburghNews & Observer
- Capitals advance with 6-3 win over Blue Jackets in Game 6Boston Herald
- Capitals will play Penguins in Eastern Conference Second RoundNHL.com
- Alex Ovechkin delivers in Capitals' series-clinching win in ColumbusWTOP
- Full 60: Jackets season ends in 6-3 loss on home ice.NHL.com
- The Buzzer: We have a Game 7; Bobrovsky's playoff struggles continueYahoo Sports