Davey Nelson, a former All-Star infielder for the Rangers and television analyst with the Brewers , has died at the age of 73.
The Brewers announced that Nelson, who was a coach in the organization for five years before moving to the broadcast booth in 2006, died Monday after battling long illness.
Davey Nelson joined the broadcast booth at FOX Sports Wisconsin in 2006 after spending five years as a coach in the Brewers organization.
Rich Pilling/MLB Photos/Getty Images "Davey took every opportunity to turn a casual introduction into a lifelong relationship, and his legacy will live on in the positive impact he had on the lives of so many people," Brewers CEO Rick Schlesinger said in a statement.
"Davey's love of life and commitment to helping those in need were second to none, and we are so grateful for the time that we had with him.
Nelson played 10 seasons in the majors with the Indians , Royals and the Senators/Rangers franchise.
Nelson batted .244, scored 340 runs, had 211 RBIs and stole 187 bases during his career.
- Former Brewer Coach, Broadcaster Passes AwayWSAU
- Brewers mourn passing of former coach and broadcaster Davey NelsonOnMilwaukee.com
- Former Brewers coach, broadcaster Davey Nelson passes away at age 73WTMJ-TV (press release) (blog)
- Brewers Announce Broadcaster, Former Coach Davey Nelson DeadWeAreGreenBay.com
- Original Ranger Dave Nelson, an All-Star in 1973, passes awayDallas News (blog)
- Former MLB All-Star, Broadcaster Has Died At 73The Spun (blog)
- Dave Nelson, former Texas Rangers All Star, has diedLone Star Ball
- Davey Nelson, analyst for Brewers television crew and team alumni director ...Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Brewers analyst, former All-Star Davey Nelson dies at 73National Post