LONDON (Reuters) - Kate, wife of Prince William, smiled and waved as she left hospital on Monday after giving birth to a boy who is now fifth in line to the British throne.
The couple now live at Kensington Palace and last year William gave up his day job as an air ambulance pilot to concentrate full-time on royal duties on behalf of his grandmother, having faced some criticism from British newspapers who dubbed him “workshy Wills”.
He has been determined to play a hands-on role in bringing up his children while also protecting their privacy, an issue close to his heart after the death of his mother, Princess Diana, in a 1997 Paris car crash as her limousine sped away from pursuing paparazzi.
Britain's Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William leave the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital with their new Baby boy in London, April 23, 2018.
“We’ve been coming out doing this for 21 years,” said John Loughrey, 63, from south London, who was wearing a Union Jack onesie and hat and holding a baby doll adorned with a crown.
“Congratulations to William and Kate but it is a private matter and if people are happy for them then fine but I think the media should just move on and talk about something more important,” Graham Smith, chief executive officer of the anti-monarchist campaign group Republic, told Reuters.
Slideshow (19 Images)The birth also gives Kate’s own family another cause for celebration after it was reported by British media on Sunday that her sister Pippa, who is married to a wealthy financier, was pregnant with her first child.
- Yes, Duchess Kate looked flawless after giving birth. No, this isn't normal.Washington Post
- Royal baby: Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to boyBBC News
- Royal Baby Name: Here Are The Top PredictionsHuffPost
- Royal baby alert: Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William have sonNBCNews.com
- The Royal Baby Isn't Even a Day Old. But He's Already Worth Millions to the UK ...Money Magazine
- During The Royal Baby's Birth, Queen Elizabeth Was Just Having A Casual ...Bustle
- Why Princess Charlotte Just Made Royal HistorySmithsonian
- Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, Gives Birth to a BoyNew York Times
- Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, honors Princess Diana with her red maternity dressToday.com