To many, this was a signal that hackers obtained access to their Google account and used it for Spam campaigns.
“My email account has sent out 3 Spam Emails in the past hour to a list of about 10 addresses that I don’t recognize,” a Gmail user said on Google’s forums “I changed my password immediately after the first one, but then it happened again 2 more times.
The subject of the emails is weight loss and growth supplements for men advertisements.
We are aware of a spam campaign impacting a small subset of Gmail users and have actively taken measures to protect against it.
We have identified and are reclassifying all offending emails as spam, and have no reason to believe any accounts were compromised as part of this incident.
We have identified spam emails being circulated that are disguised to appear as if they are coming from http://telus.com .
We are working with our 3rd party vendors to resolve the issue, and are advising our customers not to respond to any suspicious emails.
- Gmail spam mystery: Why have secure accounts started spamming themselves?ZDNet
- Here's Why Some Gmail Users Are Freaking Out About Spam In Their Sent FolderHot Hardware
- Gmail users mystified after spam messages start appearing in Sent folderTrustedReviews
- Gmail spam row raises security concerns among users: Is there a fix?International Business Times, India Edition
- Gmail spam campaign is a worrying false alarmSlashGear
- Gmail users receiving spam emails sent by 'themselves', Google aware of issueThe Indian Express
- Gmail users report spam emails sent from their own accountKitGuru
- Now, this! Gmail users have been receiving spam emails from their own accountsEconomic Times
- Gmail users are spamming themselves due to glitch and there is nothing they ...India Today