Towns powered his way past Ryan Anderson for a layup and a three-point play with 1:57 left in the third Quarter, pushing the lead to 10 points, and he flexed his biceps to the crowd after the whistle as he walked like King Kong to the corner of the court in celebration.
The Wolves closed that period on a 26-14 run and produced spurts of 15-3 and 11-2 in the fourth quarter to let loose as their plan to push a faster pace played out perfectly against a Rockets team that lost some energy in the venue shift north.
For the first time since May 29, 2004, the fifth game of the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers, the NBA playoffs descended on downtown Minneapolis.
After totaling only 13 points over the first two games and being challenged to be more aggressive by everyone from TNT analyst Charles Barkley to Timberwolves coach Tom Thibodeau, Towns was constantly double-teamed by the switch-heavy Rockets and didn't attempt a shot in the first quarter.
Rose, one of three former Chicago Bulls stalwarts under Thibodeau with Butler and Gibson who were brought in to bring the edge and experience the cornerstones Towns and Wiggins are lacking, made his presence obvious the entire time he was in the game.
Rockets: Anderson returned to action for the first time in seven games due to a sprained left ankle and finished with 12 points.
... During the regular season, Houston won 11 games in which it trailed by double digits, including at Minnesota on Feb. 13 when the deficit reached 13 points in the third quarter of a 126-108 victory.
- Timberwolves ain't dead yet, drop Rockets in Game 3TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
- Rockets drop Game 3 to TimberwolvesChron.com
- Ryan Anderson returns for Rockets in Game 3Chron.com
- Wolves Set For Next Intense Battle With RocketsCBS Minnesota / WCCO
- Towns, T-wolves return home in big hole against RocketsTorrington Register Citizen
- NBA Playoffs 2018: Watch Timberwolves vs. Rockets Game 3, series schedule ...CBSSports.com
- Timberwolves' Jimmy Butler, down 0-2 to Rockets: `I'm smiling, everybody's OK.'Minneapolis Star Tribune
- Wolves Ready For Playoff Basketball Back At HomeTimberwolves.com
- Wolves blow out Rockets in Game 3: Butler, Teague total 51 pointsWest Central Tribune