It is difficult to overstate quite how modest the £3million release clause in Evans’ contract is in today’s market of souped-up bids and desensitising transfer costs.
Evans got the terms included when agreeing to trade Manchester United for West Brom in August 2015 and sources indicate it was a prerequisite for moving to the Hawthorns with other options on the table.
Mustafi cost Arsenal £35m and as Martin Keown has pointed out the German is still making crucial defensive errors, such as failing to get in position to guard the near post for crosses.
Evans was stripped of the captaincy for one game but given the armband back thereafter and has been unable to affect his side’s desperate slide into the Championship, missing the 1-0 win at his old club United through a knee injury.
He is also a valued presence for younger players, perhaps not as naturally inquisitive as Darren Fletcher, his predecessor with the armband, but nonetheless on call to offer advice and instill work ethic.
The Old Trafford exit door: Paul Pogba, Anthony Martial... Michael Carrick called in to heal rift between Jose... Manchester United 0-1 West Brom, RESULT: Relive the... Zlatan Ibrahimovic hints he's going to Russia 2018 during... Liverpool 3-0 Bournemouth: Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah...
- West Brom boost with Evans and Robson Kanu available for Liverpool gameHITC
- Jonny Evans and Hal Robson-Kanu set to return to West Brom benchexpressandstar.com
- Evans and Robson-Kanu return to Albion squadGhanasoccernet.com
- Evans and Robson-Kanu to return for Baggies this weekendRead West Brom (blog)
- Premier League: Jonny Evans will spark a switch scramble with £3m exit clause ...Standard Republic