SAN ANTONIO -- Man, it's been rough sledding for the Big Ten since Michigan State won the last national title for the league in 2000 -- with Michigan's 79-62 drubbing at the hands of Villanova in Monday's NCAA championship game simply the latest in a long run.
Here's a breakdown of the six major conferences over that time (UConn's first two titles were won as a Big East member):
Unlike the Pac-12, which has only made two title games in the 2000s, Big Ten hasn't fallen short because of a lack of chances.
The Big Ten now claims that as its most recent championship because the Terrapins joined the league since then.
In 2009, Michigan State hoped to use a home crowd advantage in Detroit when it faced the Tyler Hansbrough-led Tar Heels, but it wasn't enough.
The Badgers lost to Duke in the 2015 championship game after beating previously undefeated Kentucky in the semifinal.
In 2005 and 2015, Michigan State was also in the Final Four, giving the Big Ten two chances to beat the eventual champion and, obviously, failed both times.
- Michigan can't end Big Ten title drought as Villanova cruises to national titleMinneapolis Star Tribune
- 2018 Final Four: Big Ten's national title drought hits 18 seasons with ...Landof10.com
- Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany thinks college basketball players should have ...Landof10.com
- NCAA championship: Michigan hopes to overcome recent historyUSA TODAY
- NCAA Championship features rivals of Central Indiana's Big Ten, Big East teamsFox 59
- College Insider: Purdue's Edwards wins cash with 3X3U national titleHamilton Journal News
- Ohio State's Jae'Sean Tate throws down vicious dunk in 3X3U's 3-on-3 tournamentLandof10.com
- Elite WR Garrett Wilson down to Ohio State, Texas; Jae'Sean Tate part of ...Landof10.com
- Vincent Edwards helps Big Ten to 3X3U championshipRivals.com (press release)