Their recently published memo in the aftermath of the investigation calls on the House Intelligence Committee to subpoena Apple, Twitter and WhatsApp for info regarding encrypted chat apps and private messages.
In Apple's case, the Democrats want records for downloaded secure chat apps from "key individuals," including Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner.
Twitter, meanwhile, would be pressed to hand over direct messages from Trump staff as well as WikiLeaks, its founder Julian Assange and suspected Russian hacking front Guccifer 2.0 .
The possibility of these requests going forward is contingent on the Democrats winning a House majority in the 2018 mid-term elections, giving them subpoena power.
Apple does retain download records and would hand them over if ordered, but it and WhatsApp use end-to-end encryption that they themselves can't crack.
And if they aren't, this could put them in yet another difficult position where authorities are asking them to provide information they technically can't deliver .
In this article: apple , democrats , donaldtrump , encryption , facebook , gear , internet , JulianAssange , messaging , politics , privacy , protonmail , russia , subpoena , trump , twitter , whatsapp , wikileaks
- Apple, Whatsapp pegged as potential source for encrypted communication app ...AppleInsider (press release) (blog)
- Democrats looking to subpeana tech companies over private chatsThe Jolt Journal (blog)
- Democrats ask Apple and Whatsapp for a helping hand in Trump-Russia investigationThe iBulletin
- Report: Democrats outline plans to ask Apple & WhatsApp for help in the Trump ...9to5Mac
- Democrats Want to Subpoena Apple to Find Out When Key Administration Officials ...The Intercept