(Reuters) - U.S. professional golfer Bill Haas escaped serious injury when he was involved in a fatal three-car collision on Tuesday in Los Angeles, but will drop out of a tournament as a result, his manager and local officials said on Wednesday.
Haas, a six-time PGA Tour winner, was scheduled to play in the Genesis Open at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades that begins Thursday, but will withdraw to recover at his home in Greenville, South Carolina, his manager said.
“While Bill escaped serious injuries and has been released from the hospital, he is understandably shaken up and – more importantly – his deepest condolences go out to the host family during this tragic and difficult time,” manager Allen Hobbs, of Players Group Management, said in a statement.
The accident, in which one person was killed, occurred at about 6:30 p.m. local time on Tuesday on a suburban road in the upscale Pacific Palisades section of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Fire Department said.
He joined the PGA Tour in 2006 and has since earned six victories, most recently at the Humana Challenge in La Quinta, California, in 2015.
He enjoyed his best finish at a major tournament when he earned a share of fifth place at the U.S. Open in 2017.
Haas, whose father is a nine-time PGA Tour winner, represented the United States three times at the Presidents Cup, a biennial competition between the U.S. and an International team comprised of players from the rest of the world, except Europe.
- Palisades crash kills Ferrari driver, injures golfer Bill Haas and another ...LA Daily News
- Golfer Bill Haas Escapes Serious Injury in Fatal CrashU.S. News & World Report
- How best to treat opioids' youngest sufferers? No one knowsSFGate
- Golfer Bill Haas, Luke Wilson involved in deadly Los Angeles car crashNew York Daily News
- Bill Haas released from hospital after being involved in fatal car crash, has ...Yahoo Sports
- Golfer Bill Haas injured in deadly car crash; actor Luke Wilson also involvedWashington Times
- Greenville golfer Bill Haas injured in deadly wreckGreenville News
- Golfer Bill Haas and actor Luke Wilson have been involved in a fiery pile-up ...Daily Mail
- Golfer Bill Haas injured, actor Luke Wilson unhurt in fatal Pacific Palisades ...KABC-TV