But Alderweireld will be out of contract in 2019 and despite talks over a renewal, no agreement has been reached leading to speculation that a move could be on the cards.
It is claimed the 28-year-old has the option of a one-year extension in his deal but also a £25million release clause which can be activated in the 2019 summer transfer window.
Toby Alderweireld is yet to sign a contract extension He is 28 and it was a massive injury that we need to care about, because we could not put at risk his career
Jose Mourinho has spent heavily on defenders in recent years with Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly coming in.
But Chris Smalling and Phil Jones’ futures are in doubt after United lost back-to-back away games with the pair in central defence.
Chris Smalling and Phil Jones were poor against Spurs and Newcastle"He is 28 and it was a massive injury that we need to care about, because we could not put at risk his career.
"But I think in front, in his career, is of course a very important game but, sure he is going to have the opportunity and be strong after the injury, but we need to apply our common sense and be careful in the way that we are going to use him in the first few weeks after he is fit for training.
- Harry Kane calls for self-belief ahead of Tottenham Hotspur clash vs JuventusHindustan Times
- Champions League: Toby Alderweireld's Tottenham Hotspur future in doubt after ...Firstpost
- Champions League: Pochettino says Tottenham will go to Juventus to winThe Week UK
- Spurs will learn if they belong at elite level, says PochettinoCyprus Mail
- 'He has become a great international striker': Chiellini impressed by Harry KaneEurosport.com AU
- Kane can prove Euro pedigree at JuventusBusiness Day
- Harry Kane relishing challenge against 'amazing' Giorgio ChielliniSkySports
- Spurs' Harry Kane ready to lock horns with Juve's Giorgio ChielliniThe Guardian
- Champions League: Giorgio Chiellini says Juventus have to do their best to ...Firstpost
This post first appeared on The 5th News, please read the originial post: here