A small company that makes Oled microdisplays is getting some attention from tech giants with big plans for virtual and augmented reality .
The investment, made in the form of a new stock issuance, was expected to be completed before the end of January, according to the filing.
The investment underscores the tech community's commitment to virtual reality, which promises to transport goggle-wearing users to a computer-generated 3D environment.
Augmented reality, meanwhile, overlays digital images on the real world via special headsets.
The software, which is part of the upcoming iOS 11.3 release, will pack new features to enable richer apps, including the ability to places items on vertical walls and doors, not just horizontal surfaces like tables.
Solving for XX : The industry seeks to overcome outdated ideas about "women in tech."
- OLED smart glasses display firm denies Apple investedSlashGear
- Emagin OLED microdisplay tech receives investment from Apple, LG, ValveSlashGear
- Apple, LG & Valve pump $10M into OLED 'microdisplay' maker eMaginAppleInsider (press release) (blog)
- EMagin Executive Says Apple Didn't Invest in the CompanyBloomberg
- Apple joins LG and Valve investing up to $10.6M in OLED display maker eMaginTechCrunch
- Update — Apple Linked to OLED Maker Investment, but eMagin CEO Says No Cash ...Next Reality
- Apple Joins Group Investment in OLED Microdisplay Company eMagin Amid Ongoing ...Mac Rumors
- Apple invests in AR device OLED component maker alongside LG Display Co. [U]9to5Mac
- eMagin Corporation Updates the MarketBusiness Wire (press release)