While Olympians from world over are gearing up for the Winter Games in South Korea, players from America, Russia and Japan came together for a really important and one-of-its-kind Badminton game.But at a different arena altogether.
The contenders - all Astronauts at the International Space Station - were NASA's Joseph Akaba, JAXA's Norishige Kanai and Russian cosmonauts Alexander Misurkin and Anton Shkaplerov who came together for the first ever space badminton tournament.
The ISS crew played a doubles badminton game as part of a project to showcase their life in zero gravity, reported Russia Today .
The interstellar tournament saw the astronauts taking on their opponents while handling the challenges of zero gravity.
Current ISS commander, Russian Astronaut Alexander Misurkin said the outer space badminton game was "tantamount to placing a flag on Mars"
The video of the match, played on January 1, was released on Tuesday by the Russian space agency "Roscosmos" on their YouTube page.The teams didn't keep score and everyone was a winner in the tournament.
Russian astronaut Anton Shkaplerov, one of the badminton players, in an earlier video demonstrated how to fly a vacuum cleaner in space.
- NASA flight director speaks at University of ToledoToledo Blade
- NASA Testing Implant That Could Slow Down Muscle DeterioationUbergizmo
- Timberline High students speak with astronauts aboard the International Space ...6 On Your Side
- Watch Boise students chat with space station astronautsIdaho EdNews
- Watch: Astronauts play first space badminton tournamentNews Heads
- Watch: Astronauts played the first ever sport in space – badmintonScroll.in
- Shuttlecocks fly 400km above earthThe Australian
- Russian cosmonauts and American astronauts played the first ever sporting ...Brinkwire (press release)
- Russian Cargo Ship Preps for Launch While Crew Studies Life ScienceSpace Fellowship