The sister of North Korean despot Kim Jong Un and South Korea’s president shook hands in a historic moment for the two countries during the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics on Friday -- but no such interaction occurred between any Hermit Kingdom representatives and Vice President Pence despite two close encounters.
Earlier, at a VIP reception before the ceremony, Pence went around a table and shook hands with all the dignitaries except Kim Yong Nam, North Korea's 90-year-old nominal head of state.
As first vice director of the Central Committee of North Korea's ruling Workers' Party, Kim Yo Jong, who is believed to be about 30, has been an increasingly prominent figure in North Korea's leadership and is considered one of the few people who has earned her brother's absolute trust.
Her arrival came one day after North Korea held a massive military parade , displaying its intercontinental ballistic missiles before Kim Jong Un delivered a televised speech calling his regime a “global military power.”
The parade featured tanks, planes, and thousands of goose-stepping troops – as well as Hwasong-14 and Hwasong-15 ICBMS, which the North claims can reach U.S. soil.
Moon has been trying to use the Olympics in Pyeongchang as an opportunity to revive meaningful communication with North Korea after a period of diplomatic stalemate.
Skeptics say North Korea is using the Olympics to poke holes in the U.S.-led international sanctions against the country and buy more time to further advance its strategic weaponry.
- Olympics 2018: Opening ceremony 'Peace in Motion' kicks off Pyeongchang Winter ...ABC News
- Olympics Open With Koreas Marching Together, Offering Hope for PeaceNew York Times
- Opening Ceremonies at Pyeongchang Olympics: A unified Korea, big US gloves and ...Washington Post
- Chloe Kim has literally grown up with snowboardingUSA TODAY
- With extraordinary political optics, the Winter Olympics beginChicago Tribune
- North Korea, US set for icy encounter at Olympics as North delegation arrivesReuters
- Mike Pence doesn't speak with North Koreans, including Kim Jong Un's sister ...USA TODAY
- Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony LIVE: Updates as the Pyeongchang Games beginCBSSports.com
- Will North Koreans try to defect at the Olympics?CBS News