The 2018 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony takes place Friday night in PyeongChang, but some sports fans are already looking far down the road in hopes of bringing the games back to the U.S.
Salt Lake City, which hosted the Winter Olympics in 2002, has put its hat back in the ring for the 2026 or 2030 Games.
If it succeeds, that will put it in a fairly exclusive club.
“We are in a great, tremendous position to host the Winter Olympics again,” said Utah Governor Gary Herbert .
Some 83% of residents say they back the idea in a poll from The Salt Lake Tribune and the University of Utah’s Hinckley Institute of Politics.
Ultimately, the decision to pursue the games is less up to Utah, though, and more the call of the U.S. Olympic Committee.
Regardless of which city will be chosen to host the next Winter Olympics, the Summer Games will take place in the U.S. in 2028, when they’re hosted by Los Angeles.
- Utah is one step closer to hosting another Winter Olympics10,000 Couples
- Who is Will Rhoads: Park City ski jumper conquered fear to realize his Olympic ...Deseret News
- Utah lawmakers pass free-range parenting proposalKUTV 2News
- Salt Lake City to bid for 2030 OlympicsSportsPro Media
- Salt Lake City Is 1st In US To Seek 2030 Winter Olympic BidKJZZ
- Proposed Bill Would Eliminate Primaries in Special ElectionsU.S. News & World Report
- Salt Lake City Officially Endorses Bidding On Future Winter OlympicsSportsBusiness Daily
- Announcement of go-ahead for Utah Olympic bid excites Park City's youth programsThe Park Record
- Man in critical condition after auto-pedestrian accident in Salt Lake CityGephardt Daily