NEW YORK — The Liquidation has begun at Toys R Us, the latest victim of tough economic times for many retail businesses.
The toy emporium that has delighted generations of kids is Closing many of its 880 stores due in part to challenging competition from online retailers.
Business was light during out visit to the Toys R Us store at the Wayne Hills Mall in New Jersey, but for the customers who showed up there were some good bargains.
Sylvana Brito said it's understandable that retailers like Toys R Us can’t be viable when competing with online companies like Amazon.
The company said that the stores that will be closing, including 11 in New Jersey, failed to meet performance standards.
7-year-old Sofia Piscoblo summed up the feeling of so many upset over the closing of so many of the toy emporiums, "Sad."
The liquidation sale will continue for several weeks until the stores earmarked for closure close their doors in mid-April.
- Washington girl who biked 14 miles to, from campus graduates high schoolAtlanta Journal Constitution
- Toys R Us, Babies R Us liquidation sales startMy Fox Boston
- Toys 'R' Us going-out-of-business sales start this weekDayton Daily News
- Toys R Us begins liquidation sales at hundreds of closing storesWCVB Boston
- Toys R Us closing sales could start soon10News
- Toys R Us starting liquidation sales at 144 stores, including PhillipsburgAllentown Morning Call
- Store closing deals begin at Toys R Us in KatyKTRK-TV
- Toys'R'Us sales underway ahead of Bay Area store closuresKGO-TV
- Toys R Us stores in Tampa, St. Petersburg have begun blow-out closing salesTampabay.com