New Orleans Pelicans Coach Alvin Gentry has seen a lot during his 30 years in the NBA, but even he hadn't seen anything like what happened at the Smoothie King Center on Wednesday night.
After nearly two hours of delays, the game between the Pelicans and the Indiana Pacers that was scheduled for Wednesday had to be Postponed because of a leak in the roof.
The leak started coming from the roof around 6:30 p.m., according to SMG general manager Alan Freeman, and rain water began to fall around the free throw line in front of the Pacers' bench.
Officials from SMG worked to install a catch basin to stop the leak, but both teams determined that concerns about water dripping on the court once again during the game and damage done to the court from the initial leak made it too dangerous to play.
"I thought the first 30 minutes (after the delay) guys were thinking that we were going to play," said Pacers coach Nate McMillan.
"I think after about 45 minutes into it, they started hearing that it was a good chance that it was going to be cancelled.
A large chunk of the crowd at the Smoothie King Center remained in the building throughout the duration of the delay and booed loudly once it was announced that the game would be postponed.
- Pelicans vs. Pacers Postponed Due to Leak in Smoothie King Center RoofSports Illustrated
- Pacers game against Pelicans postponed because of leaky arena roofIndianapolis Star
- Pacers-Pelicans game postponed in rare NBA rainout due to leaky roofCBSSports.com
- FULL RECAP: Rain (yes, rain) postpones Pacers-Pelicans gameFOXSports.com
- NBA postpones Pelicans-Pacers game following two-hour rain delay caused by ...New York Daily News
- Indiana Pacers-New Orleans Pelicans game delayed due to leaky roofNBA.com
- Pelicans, Pacers game in New Orleans rained out after roof springs leak at ...The Advocate
- Pelicans game vs. Indiana postponed because of leak in roofNOLA.com
- The Pelicans vs. Pacers game was postponed because of a roof leakSB Nation