We got a taste of how Pittsburgh Penguins fans would react to seeing Marc-Andre Fleury on the opposite side of the ice in December .
On Tuesday, Fleury returned to Pittsburgh to play hockey for the first time since being taken by the Vegas Golden Knights in last year’s expansion draft after 13 seasons in a Penguins uniform.
With the team, Fleury helped the Penguins to three Stanley Cups in a nine-year span, and the endof his career in Pittsburgh was as bittersweet as they come.
To keep the future of their franchise in net, Matt Murray , the team had to put Fleury up for the expansion draft to be taken by Vegas.
Before the game, Penguins fans were more than happy to see the netminder, as warmups were littered with signs and more than a number of Vegas jerseys.
The entire city was ready for Fleury’s return, as it even created fake billboards to celebrate the occasion.
At the first broadcast break, the Penguins showed an incredible tribute video to Fleury’s tenure in Pittsburgh, highlighting his greatest moments from a special career.
- Marc-Andre Fleury makes emotional return to Pittsburgh with Vegas Golden KnightsWTAE Pittsburgh
- Flower power: Six facts as Marc-Andre Fleury makes Pittsburgh returnSporting News
- Injured Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier stands up during ovation at Penguins gameYahoo Sports
- Why Pittsburgh loves Marc-Andre FleuryNBCSports.com
- Paul Zeise: The Vegas Golden Knights are the best story in sportsPittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Watch: Marc-Andre Fleury met with ovation in return to PittsburghSporting News
- NHL teams could learn from Super Bowl, Eagles, PenguinsNBCSports.com
- Penguins notebook: Team works to replace Marc-Andre Fleury's humorTribune-Review
- Blog: Golden Knights' comeback attempt falls short in PittsburghLas Vegas Sun