New York Knicks center Kristaps Porzingis (6) lays on the court after being injured against the Milwaukee Bucks during the first half at Madison Square Garden.
NEW YORK — It should have been the sort of play that would be running on highlight loops at Madison Square Garden, the Knicks young star, Kristaps Porzingis, rising up and delivering a one-handed dunk over his Milwaukee Bucks' counterpart, Giannis Antetokounmpo.
He immediately rolled around in pain, grasping at the back of his knee and pounding his fist on the floor just a few feet from Knicks' owner James Dolan.
Adding to the trouble with insult and injury, Antetokounmpo soared over Hardaway Jr - really, over the 6-foot-6 wing - for a dunk in the third quarter and then in the fourth quarter Hardaway Jr. headed to the locker room, limping and then hopping on one leg, holding his left lower leg - the same area that had been afflicted with a stress injury earlier this season, sidelining him for 20 games.
But the decision of whether to maintain their slow rebuild or set back even further as sellers at Thursday’s NBA trade deadline could depend on the status of Porzingis’s left knee.
He had what appeared to be a serious injury to his left ankle earlier this season in the opening minutes of a win over the Miami Heat at Madison Square Garden, but recovered quickly, sitting out just two games before returning to action.
As Porzingis was aided to the locker room, Knicks' executives Scott Perry and Steve Mills got up from their center court seats and headed back to meet him.
- Tim Hardaway Jr. InjuryNBA.com
- Kristaps Porzingis leaves game with apparent left knee injuryESPN
- Unicorn Blocks The Greek FreakNBA.com
- Knicks All-Star F Kristaps Porzingis Leaves Game With Apparent Knee InjurySports Illustrated
- Giannis Antetokounmpo literally jumps over Tim Hardaway Jr. for alley-oop dunkYahoo Sports
- VIDEO: Kristaps Porzingis tears ACL in left kneeNew York Daily News
- Knicks Fall To Milwaukee Bucks, Porzingis Leaves Due To Knee InjuryCBS New York
- Another NBA All-Star Down: Kristaps Porzingis Injures Knee After DunkThe Inquisitr
- Kristaps Porzingis to Receive MRI After Suffering Knee Injury vs. BucksBleacher Report