With football season now over and spring training right away the corner, Frazier finally gave up on the returning to the Yankees on Monday night when he accepted a two-year, $17-million offer from the crosstown rival Mets .
The Yankees' loss is the Mets' gain, as they get an enthusiast fun guy who plays a very good third base and hits a bunch of homers.
As for the Yankees, they're getting close to heading into spring training with rookie Miguel Andujar as the leading contender to open the season as the starter at third base.
Chase Headley , the starter at third last season until Frazier arrived, was moved to the San Diego Padres in December, so the Yankees also in-house candidates at third besides Andujar are utility infielders Ronald Torreyes and Tyler Wade.
Meantime, the Yankees still could add an experienced third baseman via trade or free agent, although adding significant money to the payroll could prevent either from occurring due to managing partner Hal Steinbrenner's insistence on his club being under the $197 million luxury-tax threshold.
That leaves $14 million, and the Yankees still want to add a veteran starting pitcher, so to do that and sign a third baseman, they may have dump a salary.
to sign Mike Moustakas, the top free agent third baseman available, and they may have to lose a lesser salary (reliever Dellin Betances ?)
- Mets' bargain signing of Todd Frazier reflects icy state of MLB free agencyWashington Post
- By signing Todd Frazier and Jay Bruce, Sandy Alderson and Mets prove to be ...New York Daily News
- Report: Todd Frazier, Mets agree on two-year deal worth $17 millionChicago Tribune
- Ex-White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier, Mets agree on 2-year, $17M dealChicago Sun-Times
- Todd Frazier Settles for Discounted Contract With Mets, and There May Be More ...Sports Illustrated
- Signing Todd Frazier signifies Mets no longer believe in David Wright's ...New York Daily News
- Todd Frazier is latest victim of stagnant free agent marketYahoo Sports
- Mets agree to 2-year, $17-million deal with Todd FrazierNew York Daily News
- AP source: 3B Todd Frazier, Mets agree on $17M, 2-year dealWPXI Pittsburgh